Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <gd...@apache.org> on 2012/06/09 19:11:58 UTC

Re: Some questions on intermediate serialization in Pig

So, to recap.

InterSedes writes the R1/R2/R3 thing.
I am quite sure it is done for splittability purposes.
The RawComparators, as well as InterStorage, operate on binary data that
does not see this thing.

DISCLAIMER: Guesswork below!

My wild guess is that InterRecordReader has nothing to do with the
RawComparator.
The former is used at the input of the map phase (and InterRecordWriter is
used at the output of the reduce phase) while RawComparator is used at the
boundary between map and reduce phase.
If you look at PigGenericMapReduce you will see that the mapper/reducer
always writes a PigNullableWritable as a key. I think this is the place
where the RawComparator actually plays a role, which means it does not
directly see the R1/R2/R3 because they are stripped out by the RecordReader.

Cheers,

--
Gianmarco

Posted by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com>.
Gianmarco, I think you're absolutely correct. Thanks for weighing in :)