Posted to regexp-user@jakarta.apache.org by Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com> on 2002/07/17 17:26:47 UTC

Multiple matching - may not have done this the correct way.

This works fine, but may not be the way regexp was designed to be used.

I would appreciate any comments that can direct me to better ways to do
this.

This is the guts of pseudocode for a tag substitution program that goes
through files, finds all the tags, and does the right thing with the
tags portion, while just passing the rest through unchanged.

      int startPrint = 0;
      int tagStart = 0;
      int tagEnd = 0;
      aString = "a string of some long sort, mostly miles of text from
files";
      RE reg = new RE("aTagMatch");
        for(int i = 0;reg.match(aString,tagEnd+1);i++){
          startPrint=tagEnd;
          tagStart=reg.getParenStart(0);
          tagEnd=reg.getParenEnd(0);
              System.out.println(aString.substring(startPrint,tagStart));
              System.out.println(i+ " startPrint = "
                    + startPrint + " tagStart = "
                    + tagStart+ " tagEnd = "
                    + tagEnd + " Test String was '"