Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2004/06/22 02:16:22 UTC

AXIS-C++ and AXIS-Java performance observations on Linux/Loopback

hi,

hope you find those results useful in identifying areas in AXIS-Java
(memory footprint. performance) and AXIS-C++ (working on bigger sizes)
that needs more work and will provide the biggest payoff (bang for buck
:) ) - benchmark driver is very flexible and allows to execute only
subset of tests to help  timing when trying to fix one aspect only.

i have update the benchmark results page [1] and added new tested services
so currently there are results for AXIS-Java 1.2 streaming and non
streaming
(CVS June 11) and AXIS-C++ 1.2 pre-alpha (CVS May 28), gSOAP 2.6, XSOAP4
1.1.6-alpha4

tests were run on Linux Red Hat 7.3, Dell Optiplex GX 260T,
Pentium 4 1.8 GHz 512 MB, JDK 1.4.2 (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode)
using Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM over loopback network
(that should eliminate any network interferences).

code to reproduce tests results (except gSOAP) is available from [1].

Observations
----------------
it seems that AXIS-C++ HTTP transport is very inefficient as even for
ping (echoVoid) method
that has no body payload it was 4x slower than gSOAP or XSOAP4 (and CPU
usage is 1/3 indicating
that there is lot of IO waits or some other blocking ...) - later
testing (i may send those results later)
on real gigabit Ethernet network showed that AXIS-C++ ping is /only/ 2x
slower than gSOAP ...

it seems that AXIS-Java has huge memory leak - test was not completed as
JVM ran out of memory
even though it was started with -Xmx1024m (1GB!) and it actually managed
not only to take
all memory but also all swap space leading to machine freezing which is
very bad sign
if you plans to run AXIS-Java based services for this kind of payloads ...

otherwise it seems that gSOAP is the fastest toolkit available and it
especially shines when transferring large amount of data. XSOAP4 even
though relatively new and in alpha stage is not yet optimized for
performance turned out to be surprisingly stable and well performing (as
for Java).

comments are welcome.

thanks,

alek
[1]  http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom/bnp/wsperf/linux_loopback/

Re: AXIS-C++ and AXIS-Java performance observations on Linux/Loopback

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
It looks like the code is trying to open a server socket at
port 8080 for some reason.

Sanjiva.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
No luck with that either :(

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
No luck with that either :(

Release date for Axis c++ 1.2 Beta

Posted by sanjaya singharage <sa...@opensource.lk>.
The Axis C++ team is planning to Release Axis C++ 1.2 Beta on the coming
Tuesday of 29th June 2004.

Rounds of testing are being carried out on the Alpha and so far bugs found
have been fixed and the code looks pretty stable.

Additionally, in the 1.2 Beta release xsd:any types in WSDL will be
supported.

02nd July has been decided as the tentative date for the 1.2 final release.

The Axis C++ team.

Release date for Axis c++ 1.2 Beta

Re: seperate generated code in samples/tests

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Samisa,
I did this for some of the new test cases I developed.
<sample_folder>/gen_src contains all the tool generated code.
But the deveper may change code in the generated files. Yet he
can only put his own files in <sample_folder>(or any other sub folder)

Let's change to this structure in the existing samples as well.

damitha

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Well, why not start with new samles and tests now itself?
Can reoganize existing ones for 1.3. (even doing this for 1.2 makes sence as it improves user
understanding, specially for new users)

Samisa...

Posted by Susantha Kumara <su...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>smoke test command line:
>java -server -Xmx1024m -Dtest.setup=RH73_VERONICA_LOOPBACK
>-Dserver.name=AXIS_JAVA_STREAMING_1_2 -Dsmoke_test
>soap_bench.BenchClient http://localhost:8080/axis/services/Benchmark1

yes - this "smoke test" is used to determine if service works as
expected (it calls service 3 times and verified results)

>test case command line:
>java -server -Xmx1024m -Dtest.setup=RH73_VERONICA_LOOPBACK
>-Dserver.name=AXIS_JAVA_STREAMING_1_2 soap_bench.BenchClient
>http://localhost:8080/axis/services/Benchmark1 200000 aa
>10,100,1000,5000,10000,25000,50000,75000,100000

this is real test - complete lis tof test commands used in one run (we
did multiple runs) is in
http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom/bnp/wsperf/linux_loopback/soapscb_loopback.sh

thanks,

alek

Re: AXIS-C++ and AXIS-Java performance observations on Linux/Loopback

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
smoke test command line:

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: more results [Re: AXIS-C++ and AXIS-Java performance observations on Linux/Loopback

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>Axis Java. I am basically unable to run the tests to repro the problem
>- http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-c-dev&m=108795871520281&w=2

Dims,

just a second before i leave :)

please download a whole tomcat tarball with *included* axis bench code
and WSDD i have used for tests:
http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~aslom/bnp/wsperf/tomcat-4_1_30_AXIS.tgz

thanks,

alek

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: Re: more results [Re: AXIS-C++ and AXIS-Java performance observations on Linux/Loopback

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Chiu <ch...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Kenneth Chiu <ch...@cs.indiana.edu>.