Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Hari Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/19 14:15:26 UTC

Resolution errors while upgrading feature

Hi,

We have an OSGI application running on karaf , which requires an automatic
upgrade of features and we are currently on Karaf-4.0.5. The application is
packaged as 17 features.

All the features are defined in the repository with "LATEST"  keyword - so
that upgrades are automatically pulled down.

We have a script that is invoked periodically which does the upgrade by
invoking

and that fails with an error

*org.apache.karaf.shell.core - 4.0.5 | Exception caught while executing
command  org.osgi.service.resolver.ResolutionException: Unable to resolve
root: missing requirement [root] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=ABCD_Service;
type=karaf.feature; version="[1.5.2,1.5.2]"; f *
*ilter:="(&(osgi.identity=ABCD_Service)(type=karaf.feature)(version>=1.5.2)(version<=1.5.2))"*

Here 1.5.2 is the current version of the feature which is being replaced by
a higher version in the upgrade

We have tried various combinations

1. When we install  the features one after the other - it fails for one of
the other upgraded features
2. When we install all the features ( including the non-upgraded features )
- it fails while upgrading the first feature in the list that is to be
upgraded
3. When we provide the actual list of features which have been upgraded, it
upgrades successfully - this is however not easy for us to script.

The other observation is that the system automatically downloads the new
feature version to the repository at which time the old version seems to
have been uninstalled ( because the pending to upgrade features are not
shown in *feature:list -i  **) . *Is that why the resolution for the older
version of feature fails ? Also not able explain why it works fine when we
give the list of changed features in the install command.

We are totally blocked on this issue at this point. Any suggestions,
feedback on approach welcome.

Regards

--
Hari