Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch> on 2001/04/19 01:46:54 UTC

Re: disabling logging using configuration files using the disable directive

Otis,

Does not compute. What do you mean by disable logging of messages with Priority P <= X. Is this for all categories or for just one specific category? Ceki

At 17:02 18.04.2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm wondering about the following (which was discussed around March 7th/8th,
>but in that discussion I didn't find the answer to my question):
>
>How exactly do you disable logging of messages with Priority P <= X (where X
>is something like DEBUG) via the log4j.properties file?
>
>I've got:
>
>log4j.category.foo.bar=DEBUG, SERVERLOG
>
>Assuming all log categories are under foo.bar category, how would I disable
>all DEBUG logging statements, for example?
>
>log4j.disable.foo.bar=DEBUG, SERVERLOG
>
>?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Otis
>

>February 23, 2001
>
> - Release of version 1.1b1
>
> - Logging can now be disabled per Hierarchy. It can also be disabled
>   using configuration files using the "disable" directive.  The
>   "disableOverride" directive takes precedence over the "disable"
>   directive.  As a result of this change the disable family of
>   methods in BasicConfigurator has been deprecated and replaced by the same
>   family of methods in the Hierarchy class. [*]
>

>-- Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@neomeocorp.com>

Ceki Gülcü

RE: disabling logging using configuration files using the disable directive

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@neomeocorp.com>.
Ceki,

Well, I have a category called "foo.bar" and all other categories are under
that (e.g. "foo.bar.mar" and "foor.bar.who.needs.a.car").
Currently the code is full of logging statements of all priorities (mostly
DEBUG ones, of course :)).
I'd like to be able to disable all DEBUG log statements easily via the
log4j.properties file.

Judging from that paragraph that is now at the bottom of the message this
should be possible to do now.
I am just unsure of the syntax....

Thanks,