Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> on 2017/09/06 05:59:45 UTC

Getting Started

Hello,

I intend to use Apache Metron framework for the analysis of our local area
network. What is the best way to get started? Which installation is most
suitable for me as listed in the following link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/Installation

Kindly help me with this.

Regards.

Metron 0.4.1 rc2 - Amazon EC2 - Unable to deploy

Posted by Ahmed Shah <Ah...@cmail.carleton.ca>.
Hello,

I'm able to repeatably deploy Metron 0.4.0 to EC2 using my Linux environment (npm 3.10.10, node 6.11.1, docker 1.12.6, mvn 3.3.9, ansible 2.2.2.0, No Vagrant, ClearOS[Distro of CentOS])

However, using the same environment I'm not able to deploy 0.4.1rc2 to EC2.

Given the error below I created new keys, deleted  known_hosts in /.ssh/ and updated "./amazon-ec2/conf/defaults.yml" to include the new key "key_file: ~/.ssh/xxx.pub" and I still get the error.

Error:
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-zz-ff-us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}

Any idea what changed between 0.4.0 and 0.4.1 rc2 that might cause the error?

Below shows the commandline output of  ./run.sh that leads to the error.
Metron Environment [met-041rc2-080917-3am]:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
......./metron-apache-metron-0.4.1-rc2/metron-deployment/amazon-ec2/../scripts/platform-info.sh: line 52: vagrant: command not found
Using ........../metron-apache-metron-0.4.1-rc2/metron-deployment/amazon-ec2/ansible.cfg as config file
[WARNING]: Host file not found: ec2.py
[WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available
PLAY [localhost] ***************************************************************
TASK [setup] *******************************************************************
TASK [Verify Ansible Version] **************************************************
TASK [set_fact] ****************************************************************
TASK [Define keypair] **********************************************************
TASK [debug] *******************************************************************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am:  Create virtual private cloud] ********************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am] Created vpc with id=vpc-eaxxxxxxx] ****************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am: Define open inbound security group] ***************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am: Define open outbound security group] **************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am: Instantiate 1 host(s) as sensors,ambari_master,ec2,monit] ***
TASK [Add host(s) to a hostgroup] **********************************************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am: Instantiate 4 host(s) as ambari_slave,ec2] ********
TASK [Add host(s) to a hostgroup] **********************************************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am: Instantiate 1 host(s) as pcap_server,monit,ec2] ***
TASK [Add host(s) to a hostgroup] **********************************************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am: Instantiate 1 host(s) as ambari_slave,enrichment,metron,ec2,zeppelin] ***
TASK [Add host(s) to a hostgroup] **********************************************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am: Instantiate 2 host(s) as ambari_slave,search,ec2]
TASK [Add host(s) to a hostgroup] **********************************************
TASK [met-041rc2-080917-3am: Instantiate 1 host(s) as ambari_slave,web,ec2] ****
TASK [Add host(s) to a hostgroup] **********************************************
TASK [Wait for connectivity to host(s)] ****************************************
ok
TASK [setup] *******************************************************************
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-0-130.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-33-219.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-121-175.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-5-197.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-167-93.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-58-227.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-60-236.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-106-8.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-216-132.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}
fatal: [ec2-xx-yy-236-195.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: UNREACHABLE! => {"changed": false, "msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: percent_expand: unknown key %C\r\n", "unreachable": true}

-Ahmed

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Khurram Ahmed <kh...@gmail.com>.
Thank you
I guess i should have investigated beyond the sensor documentation. Would
help to put nifi information in the sensor page though.

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Ahmed Shah <Ah...@cmail.carleton.ca>.
Hello Khurram,

I found the following (posted on Feb 2017):

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/Adding+a+New+Telemetry+Data+Source

________________________________

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Khurram Ahmed <kh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.
Thankyou. I will start with the VM and will ask if I need any further
assistance.

Re: Getting Started

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
When I say sensors I'm referring to tools that would feed into Metron like
bro, yaf, snort, etc.

Jon

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017, 09:13 Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> wrote:

> I will confirm about batch or streaming data. The sensors you mentioned,
> are they some particular devices or you are referring to sniffers or
> builtin Metron tools?
>
> On Thursday, September 7, 2017, Zeolla@GMail.com <ze...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay so that sounds much easier - will it be done in batches or streaming
>> (the network data processing, not the analytics)?  I assume the former,
>> given your situation.  If that's true and you don't have huge amounts of
>> data you may be able to do everything in full dev or an equivalent VM.  A
>> lot of this depends on what you will be feeding into Metron, and to know
>> that you need to set up the sensors and get the network traffic first.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017, 00:40 Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What I wanted to do with this is the following:
>>>
>>> 1- Gather Network Data
>>>
>>> 2- Analyse it
>>>
>>> 3- Apply some machine learning algorithm to detect intrusion
>>>

>>> Now by seeking the use of Metron framework, am I following the right
>>> track here?
>>>

>>> Regards.

>>> --
>>
>> Jon
>>
> --

Jon

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.

Re: Getting Started

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
Okay so that sounds much easier - will it be done in batches or streaming
(the network data processing, not the analytics)?  I assume the former,
given your situation.  If that's true and you don't have huge amounts of
data you may be able to do everything in full dev or an equivalent VM.  A
lot of this depends on what you will be feeding into Metron, and to know
that you need to set up the sensors and get the network traffic first.

Jon

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017, 00:40 Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What I wanted to do with this is the following:
>
> 1- Gather Network Data
>
> 2- Analyse it
>
> 3- Apply some machine learning algorithm to detect intrusion
>

> Now by seeking the use of Metron framework, am I following the right track
> here?
>

> Regards.
>
> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Zeolla@GMail.com <ze...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would start with getting the data sources (syslog, bro data, snort
>> logs, etc.) first.  Without knowing the architecture of those tools makes
>> it very difficult to suggest an install method, although for prod use I
>> would always default to a bare metal install.  In your case you don't seem
>> interested in PCAP, which means you _may_ be able to get away with
>> something in EC2 or similar.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:41 AM Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Thankyou for answering my call to help.
>>>
>>> I am going to use it for the purpose of research at graduate level, and
>>> may scale it on a production level. I am targeting a few labs on this floor
>>> , that approximately accumulates upto 30-40 people using the network. I am
>>> open to options of using YAF, BRO, SNORT and others.  Once started then I
>>> may also expand it in the future. What are your recommendations on the
>>> stated requirements.
>>>
>>> Best Regards.

>>> --
>>
>> Jon
>>

> --

Jon

Re: Getting Started

Posted by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>.
Hi,

Re: Getting Started

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thankyou for answering my call to help.
>
> I am going to use it for the purpose of research at graduate level, and
> may scale it on a production level. I am targeting a few labs on this floor
> , that approximately accumulates upto 30-40 people using the network. I am
> open to options of using YAF, BRO, SNORT and others.  Once started then I
> may also expand it in the future. What are your recommendations on the
> stated requirements.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Zeolla@GMail.com <ze...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are a few questions that need to be answered first.  How do you
>> plan to monitor the LAN?  Are you going to run YAF, Bro, Snort, others?
>> How big is your LAN, how much traffic traverses it, what is the traffic
>> composition (heavily impacts the amount of logs from Bro/YAF/Snort), how
>> much retention of data do you want, do you plan to store PCAP?
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017, 01:59 Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I intend to use Apache Metron framework for the analysis of our local
>>> area network. What is the best way to get started? Which installation is
>>> most suitable for me as listed in the following link:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/Installation
>>>
>>> Kindly help me with this.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>> --