Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/30 08:15:59 UTC

Network Traffic and Security Analysis

Hi All / Ted,

        Currently I am working on a Network project for doing Traffic and
Security analysis using BigData stack.
        I have gone through various white papers related to Network Traffic.
        Can you please point out to me any advanced analytics problems and
approaches in Network domain.
        I am currently gathering an Enterprise network traffic data
especially *Syslog and SNMP traps,* in future I will collect a
data-center's log as well.

Thanks,
Mahesh Balija,
CalsoftLabs.

Re: Network Traffic and Security Analysis

Posted by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted,

             My apologizes for the delay to reply, as I was brushing up my
networking skills before I can discuss.
             Few of those topics which I want to start with will be,

                  1) Deep packet inspection - Can be useful for Intrusion
detection (NIDS) by doing the port mirroring and analyzing the data packets
                  2) Identifying trends in high network usage - this will
help network administrators to avoid down time, Network Congestion
                  3) Flow of Traffic - To visualize what is happening with
in the data center network
                  4) Identifying Network Hot-Spot Links

             I will be having access to Syslog, SNMP data and Data packets
at this point in time.
             There is scope for running predictive analytics over network
usage.

             I will share more information as I progress.
             Your suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Mahesh Balija,
CalsoftLabs.