Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Mike lepore <mi...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/16 18:59:54 UTC

apache-james project status?

is the apache-james project still going?  I've used james2.3 for many
years and just recently considered switching to james3 because of some
issues with verizon.net with SSL authentication with Remote Deliveries.
However, it looks like there hasn't been a new release since Beta5
nightly update in 2012.  What is the state of the project?  It's not even clear
how to get the latest source code and try to build it.  I see some maven
repositories, but it isn't clear whether that's the latest source code
or not.

Re: apache-james project status?

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.
Josh,

As someone who spent a fair amount of time configuring James, I would like to see improvements in the documentation.including:

1. How to run James, either using one of the wrappers in the /bin folder or running it in a servlet container context, which would include good instructions on setting up the Spring project. For example, on *nix there should be clear instructions on running the service safely without root privileges.

2. Configuring each of the XML configuration files, including example configurations for specific use cases. There are lots of options and it is not always clear how to do particular things, so people spend a lot of time trying things out before they get a good base working configuration.

3. Configuring associated tech, like DNS records for SPF and DKIM. This could include external links to tools, examples, etc.

Robert

Posted by Josh Armstrong <ja...@centonline.com>.

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.
Ioan,

Happy to help. I wil continue to be involved as my schedule allows.

Robert

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.
OK, new videos up on Youtube.

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.
Mike,

Ah that’s what happens when we make assumptions. I assumed the build file instructions were safe to follow. I originally did mvn install when I installed Maven and did the build the other day, that’s why my build worked. Why you ran into the error seems to be clear now. It isn’t platform dependent, I was able to replicate your error on OS X and Ubuntu. It has to do with the Maven lifecycle.

Here is the default Maven lifecycle:

validate - validate the project is correct and all necessary information is available
compile - compile the source code of the project
test - test the compiled source code using a suitable unit testing framework. These tests should not require the code be packaged or deployed
package - take the compiled code and package it in its distributable format, such as a JAR.
integration-test - process and deploy the package if necessary into an environment where integration tests can be run
verify - run any checks to verify the package is valid and meets quality criteria
install - install the package into the local repository, for use as a dependency in other projects locally
deploy - done in an integration or release environment, copies the final package to the remote repository for sharing with other developers and projects.
Maven runs each phase of the lifecycle up to the phase you specify, so if you say package, it stops at package. If you say install, it stops at install. In a multi-module project build like James, it runs through the lifecycle for each module, building as it goes.

Based on the missing folders error in your original build, I think the james-server module was expecting to see the other modules installed in the Maven .m2 repository, but they were not installed, and the build failed.

The proper thing to do, then, is run mvn clean install, which will build and install all the modules before building the server.

Posted by Mike lepore <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.
I have added a video that demonstrates building James from source using Eclipse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oigJiL8oX3k

and I have documented the CLI method on my blog:

http://blog.bonnydoonmedia.com/post.cfm/building-apache-james-from-source

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.
I recorded a video last night but the audio quality is terrible so I am re-doing it with a better mic today. Meanwhile, if all you want is to build the source, you can accomplish that without too much fuss. You will need some tools installed on your system if you don’t have them already - Maven and Subversion.

maven.apache.org
subversion.apache.org

If you don’t have those tools installed, get them installed. Next, go to a command prompt, create a folder for James and check out the source code for James at the trunk:

mkdir james
cd james
svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/server/trunk/

This will create a folder called trunk inside of the james folder and populate it with the James source code.

Next, check your MAVEN_OPTS, which are probably not set:

echo $MAVEN_OPTS

If you see nothing, check this article to set your MAVEN_OPTS for your platform. 512M/128M are good settings for James.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/OutOfMemoryError

Verify your settings.

echo $MAVEN_OPTS

You should see something like:

-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

Next, run the build.

mvn clean package -DskipTests=true

On my new MacBookPro it takes roughly a minute to do the build. If I leave off the -DskipTests=true directive, it takes my machine roughly 5 1/2 minutes to run the tests and do the build.

You will see a lot of console output. At the end of a successful build you should see something like this:

[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server ............................. SUCCESS [  5.710 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Data  :: API ............. SUCCESS [  2.922 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Lifecycle API ............ SUCCESS [  0.574 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Filesystem API ........... SUCCESS [  0.731 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Mailetcontainer API ...... SUCCESS [  0.357 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Common Utilities ......... SUCCESS [  1.212 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Protocols Library ........ SUCCESS [  1.154 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Core ..................... SUCCESS [  0.832 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Container Spring ......... SUCCESS [  3.189 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Client ................... SUCCESS [  1.096 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: DNS Service :: API ....... SUCCESS [  0.191 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: DNS Service :: Library ... SUCCESS [  0.498 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Mail Queue :: API ........ SUCCESS [  0.373 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Mailetcontainer Camel .... SUCCESS [  1.939 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Mailbox Adapter .......... SUCCESS [  0.515 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: DNS Service :: Implementation SUCCESS [  0.499 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Data :: Library .......... SUCCESS [  0.732 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Data :: LDAP Implementation SUCCESS [  0.311 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: SMTP ..................... SUCCESS [  1.905 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: IMAP ..................... SUCCESS [  0.724 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: LMTP ..................... SUCCESS [  0.818 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: POP3 ..................... SUCCESS [  0.756 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: FetchMail ................ SUCCESS [  0.500 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Mail Queue :: File ....... SUCCESS [  0.344 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Mail Queue :: JMS ........ SUCCESS [  1.249 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Mail Queue :: ActiveMQ ... SUCCESS [  0.741 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Mailets .................. SUCCESS [  1.483 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Data :: File Persistence . SUCCESS [  0.554 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Data :: JPA Persistence .. SUCCESS [  1.619 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Data :: JDBC Persistence . SUCCESS [  0.730 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Data :: HBase Persistence  SUCCESS [  7.145 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: Data :: JCR Persistence .. SUCCESS [  1.216 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Server :: App ...................... SUCCESS [ 10.561 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Karaf :: Features .................. SUCCESS [  0.225 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Karaf :: James Server .............. SUCCESS [ 10.479 s]
[INFO] Apache James :: Karaf :: Integration tests ......... SUCCESS [  6.002 s]
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESS
[INFO] Total time: 01:12 min
[INFO] Finished at: 2014-10-18T09:05:37-07:00
[INFO] Final Memory: 111M/433M

Next, go into the folder and check the build files:

cd app/target

List the folder contents and you should see:

appassembler
archive-tmp
classes
generated-sources
generated-test-sources
james-server-app-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT
james-server-app-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT-app.tar.gz
james-server-app-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT-app.zip
james-server-app-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT-sources.jar
james-server-app-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT-test-sources.jar
james-server-app-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT-tests.jar
james-server-app-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT.jar
james-server-app-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT.war
maven-archiver
maven-shared-archive-resources
maven-status
supplemental-models.xml
test-classes

The archive files .tar.gz and .zip contain the binary build in the form you are used to seeing with beta4. The war file contains what should be a build for Tomcat/Jetty, etc. I haven’t tried to deploy the war yet, but I am possibly interested in running it that way.

Building with Eclipse is a little more complicated, but it also uses the Maven build system in the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers build. Download the Luna build of Eclipse to get it to work. You can see the rest in the video.

Posted by an...@gmail.com.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Whenever anybody within the community experiences that progress is
dwindling (e.g. user questions aren't answered in a timely fashion, patches
don't get reviewed and committed) it is time to reconsider the committer
invitation strategy. More hands get more done (in general), in various
areas. Not reconsidering the strategy leads to dwindling adoption of the
product. Thwarting the vicious circle takes effort. Waiting to see it
happen doesn't help.

Any contribution is a contribution. Do more than 1 and you're a committer
potential.

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.
Happy to help. I appreciate all the time you have put into maintaining the project.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Thanks for helping.

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike lepore <mi...@gmail.com>.
I got Beta 4 running, but it's got so many problems that it's just
barely usable.  I've been tracking the developer list and it looks like
there is some activity still going on.  There are trunk builds being
made periodically, but it would be nice if the active developers would
take stable binary snapshots more often with zips of the source as well.

I'm still using james-2.3.2.  I periodically make changes in the source
to fix little things that I find to make it more usable for myself.  I
had a problem with my ISP, verizon.net, where they wanted everybody to
start using SSL for SMTP (smtps).  So I added that to keep it running.
Otherwise, verizon wouldn't let me send remote mail from it to their
gateway.

However, it would be nice to use james3 to eliminate the Avalon stuff.
Avalon is just more trouble than it's worth.  It would also be nice to
have the IMAP support too.

- Mike

Posted by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
I asked this same question a couple months back. It appears James is on
life support. If you use it, be prepared to support it yourself.

Cheers,
Paul

Posted by Lee Chalupa <lc...@seelink.org>.