Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2007/03/28 11:17:26 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Content of release

re: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-911 "decide content of release"

I started trying to summarise the threads linked in the above issue, but
can't be bothered (sorry - I'm having one of those mornings where I am
prioritising very heavily).

Instead I am going to make a proposal:

We release everything just as we have in the past except we strip
everything but the plugins out of the whiteboard directory and we strip
everything but jetty, ant, forrestbot and forrest bar out of tools (do
we need logos?).

It's an improvement on previous releases. Admittedly not as good as
separate packages as described in the above issue, but we need to get
0.8 out and we could be waiting forever to restructure the build to
accommodate FOR-911.

Note that in 0.9 we will be using Ivy so will be redoing the build
system anyway, that is the time to create separate build packages.

Ross

Re: [PROPOSAL] Content of release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

..

>> Because of the cange I made for generating plugins.xml entries from
>> build.xml files, if we strip the plugin src we also strip the plugins
>> from the list.
>>
>> I propose that I revert that change and come back to it in 0.9 to enable
>> the release as David describes it.
>
> Yeah, drat. As soon as you can manage it, would be good.

Done.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>re: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-911 "decide content of
> >>release"
> >>
> >>I started trying to summarise the threads linked in the above issue, but
> >>can't be bothered (sorry - I'm having one of those mornings where I am
> >>prioritising very heavily).
> >>
> >>Instead I am going to make a proposal:
> >
> >Good. I was preparing to make a very similar proposal.
> >
> >>We release everything just as we have in the past except we strip
> >>everything but the plugins out of the whiteboard directory ...
> >
> >In the 0.7 release we didn't include any whiteboard plugins
> >and nothing else from the whiteboard directory. So such
> >plugins were always downloaded from the website (if published)
> >and otherwise people who wanted to use whiteboard stuff
> >would be developers and so need to checkout SVN trunk.
> >
> >We did include both the plugins descriptor and the whiteboard
> >plugins descriptor. Following the partial fix FOR-533
> >"Auto Generate plugins.xml entry" are these still needed?
> >If so then we need to update them to be synchronised with
> >the autogenerated list.
> >
> >The other thing that was included was whiteboard/plugins/build.xml
>
> OK, my memory is faulty. lets do the same again, but, there is a problem...
>
> Because of the cange I made for generating plugins.xml entries from
> build.xml files, if we strip the plugin src we also strip the plugins
> from the list.
>
> I propose that I revert that change and come back to it in 0.9 to enable
> the release as David describes it.

Yeah, drat. As soon as you can manage it, would be good.

-David

Re: [PROPOSAL] Content of release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> re: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-911 "decide content of release"
>>
>> I started trying to summarise the threads linked in the above issue, but
>> can't be bothered (sorry - I'm having one of those mornings where I am
>> prioritising very heavily).
>>
>> Instead I am going to make a proposal:
>
> Good. I was preparing to make a very similar proposal.
>
>> We release everything just as we have in the past except we strip
>> everything but the plugins out of the whiteboard directory ...
>
> In the 0.7 release we didn't include any whiteboard plugins
> and nothing else from the whiteboard directory. So such
> plugins were always downloaded from the website (if published)
> and otherwise people who wanted to use whiteboard stuff
> would be developers and so need to checkout SVN trunk.
>
> We did include both the plugins descriptor and the whiteboard
> plugins descriptor. Following the partial fix FOR-533
> "Auto Generate plugins.xml entry" are these still needed?
> If so then we need to update them to be synchronised with
> the autogenerated list.
>
> The other thing that was included was whiteboard/plugins/build.xml

OK, my memory is faulty. lets do the same again, but, there is a problem...

Because of the cange I made for generating plugins.xml entries from
build.xml files, if we strip the plugin src we also strip the plugins
from the list.

I propose that I revert that change and come back to it in 0.9 to enable
the release as David describes it.

>> ... and we strip
>> everything but jetty, ant, forrestbot and forrest bar out of tools
>
> I agree.
>
> The other things are "tools/dtdconverters" which may be needed
> by our build system. I will check.
>
> And "tools/xxe" which i reckon should be included. It was
> included last time and is minimal.

+1

> What about "tools/anttasks" this seems to be a relic of
> a previous Cocoon xconf technique. It only has a Java
> class file which may have been accidently committed.

I see that it is me that committed it, but being back on 2005 I cannot
remember its purpose. Looking at the commit message I think it was a
part of the work I did to allow plugins to add stuff to Cocoon config.
This mechanism is no longer used, since we use blocks.

It's not references from anywhere.

So, I say we build the release candidate without it. If this passes our
tests we can remove this file from SVN.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> re: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-911 "decide content of release"
>
> I started trying to summarise the threads linked in the above issue, but
> can't be bothered (sorry - I'm having one of those mornings where I am
> prioritising very heavily).
>
> Instead I am going to make a proposal:

Good. I was preparing to make a very similar proposal.

> We release everything just as we have in the past except we strip
> everything but the plugins out of the whiteboard directory ...

In the 0.7 release we didn't include any whiteboard plugins
and nothing else from the whiteboard directory. So such
plugins were always downloaded from the website (if published)
and otherwise people who wanted to use whiteboard stuff
would be developers and so need to checkout SVN trunk.

We did include both the plugins descriptor and the whiteboard
plugins descriptor. Following the partial fix FOR-533
"Auto Generate plugins.xml entry" are these still needed?
If so then we need to update them to be synchronised with
the autogenerated list.

The other thing that was included was whiteboard/plugins/build.xml

> ... and we strip
> everything but jetty, ant, forrestbot and forrest bar out of tools

I agree.

The other things are "tools/dtdconverters" which may be needed
by our build system. I will check.

And "tools/xxe" which i reckon should be included. It was
included last time and is minimal.

What about "tools/anttasks" this seems to be a relic of
a previous Cocoon xconf technique. It only has a Java
class file which may have been accidently committed.

> (do we need logos?).

IMO, no. It can later be released as a separate package
or even moved to another SVN location, perhaps.

> It's an improvement on previous releases. Admittedly not as good as
> separate packages as described in the above issue, but we need to get
> 0.8 out and we could be waiting forever to restructure the build to
> accommodate FOR-911.
>
> Note that in 0.9 we will be using Ivy so will be redoing the build
> system anyway, that is the time to create separate build packages.

This will be great.

-David