Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Robert A. Decker" <de...@robdecker.com> on 2007/10/05 00:14:13 UTC

How can this be made session safe?

I have a question about this demo:
http://lombok.demon.co.uk/tapestry5Demo/test/actionlink/one

here's the source:
http://lombok.demon.co.uk/tapestry5Demo/test/actionlink/onesource

When I use this demo and look at the generated source code I see
nothing in the html that looks like a session identifier. And then
when I open a new browser window and hit the demo the counter is
still at whatever it was when I was increasing it in my other window.

So, basically, the counter is being shared across all of the sessions.

Is there a way to make page/component parameters for the current
session only?

Re: How can this be made session safe?

Posted by adasal <ad...@gmail.com>.
I thought of replying pointing out that this is the same session in the
original post since the first browser has not closed (by definition),
although it is, in fact, possible to start IE in a new session. On my
computer this is achieved by clicking on the desktop link, whereas openeing
a new window from the menu of an existing browser opens in the same session.
In the history there are URLs like
http://lombok.demon.co.uk/tapestry5Demo/test/actionlink/one;jsessionid=3DFAF77ECAF0177FC2599D412EEBDAD8.worker1
http://lombok.demon.co.uk/tapestry5Demo/test/actionlink/one;jsessionid=F6CC2397FEF39C340F779355A91BB689.worker1

And from Firefox, also on the samwe machine and in a different session
inspecting JavaScript gives:-

http://lombok.demon.co.uk/tapestry5Demo/test/actionlink/one;jsessionid=BF68516158419CAFF5B5896BC58DE659.worker1
When you have these sort of links from your sessions they can be followed
and they will display the same page with the counter value referred to in
it. Normal usage has same behaviour but no display of the session id in the
URL. This is Tapestry.
BTW it is worth having Firefox for testing and many benefits, not least that
you will be able to see the Penguin in the URL that Shing has so kindly
provided!
(On IE it will only ever show the IE glyph - at least on my machine. It
doesn't just have a prejudice against Penguins, it doesn't like, e.g. the UK
Gov glyph!)
Adam

Posted by Tom Davies <to...@exemail.com.au>.