Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/29 07:00:58 UTC

Dynamic scaling in flink

Is it possible to upscale or downscale a flink application without
re-deploying (similar to rebalancing in storm)?

Abhishek Agarwal

Re: Dynamic scaling in flink

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi,
this JIRA is a good starting point:

If you don't care about processing guarantees and you are using a stateless
streaming job, you can implement a simple Kafka consumer that uses Kafka's
consumer group mechanism. I recently implemented such a Kafka consumer if
you want to use it as a base for your work:
https://github.com/rmetzger/scratch/blob/kafka-group-consumer/src/main/java/com/dataartisans/FlinkKafkaGroupConsumer.java

Regards,
Robert

Re: Dynamic scaling in flink

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Stephan. I understand guaranteeing exactly once semantics with the
dynamic scaling is tough. If I were to let go of the exactly once
requirement, is it not possible in current version? It would be really
great if you can point me to the JIRA tracking this work.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> There is a lot of work in progress on that feature, and it looks like you
> can expect the next version to have some upscale/downscale feature that
> maintains exactly-once semantics.
>
> Stephan
>

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to upscale or downscale a flink application without
>> re-deploying (similar to rebalancing in storm)?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Abhishek Agarwal

Abhishek Agarwal