Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Johnny Jones <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2005/05/24 00:28:31 UTC

linking to other pages dynamically

Hi Users,

I like the way the menu or the tabs work in terms of dynamically managing
navigation.  I have a header on a site with 5 images I would like to link
respective pages.  This would be easy if I use absolute paths.  However, I
would like to avoid absolute paths and use the same trick that the menu uses
so that all the pages on the site use the same header xsl but the link
information to these pages changes depending on what directory the page that
displays the link is in.  For example, if I am navigating the site at
localhost:8080/sandbox/authoring/index.html and I would like to link
localhost:8080/sandbox/authoring/welcome.html it works using the same xsl as
does the link from localhost:8080/sandbox/authoring/page1/page1.html.

I tried to review different documenation from lenya website such as Dynamic
URIs, Usecases, Link Management, but I still have a vague idea of what to
do.  I would really appreciate it if you could give me some guidelines or
advice regarding the best way to approach the above problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: linking to other pages dynamically

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 5/23/05, Johnny Jones <ja...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I like the way the menu or the tabs work in terms of dynamically managing
> navigation.  I have a header on a site with 5 images I would like to link
> respective pages.  This would be easy if I use absolute paths.  However, I
> would like to avoid absolute paths and use the same trick that the menu uses
> so that all the pages on the site use the same header xsl but the link
> information to these pages changes depending on what directory the page that
> displays the link is in.  For example, if I am navigating the site at
> localhost:8080/sandbox/authoring/index.html and I would like to link
> localhost:8080/sandbox/authoring/welcome.html it works using the same xsl as
> does the link from localhost:8080/sandbox/authoring/page1/page1.html.
>
> I tried to review different documenation from lenya website such as Dynamic
> URIs, Usecases, Link Management, but I still have a vague idea of what to
> do.  I would really appreciate it if you could give me some guidelines or
> advice regarding the best way to approach the above problem.

I am uncertain what you are attempting.  Either:
1. You want a graphic to display for menu items for certain URLs.
2. You want static pages linked from all pages, but for some reason
you want the links generated dynamically.  If so, why bother?  Static
pages are static.  The dynamic generation is only useful for
navigation that will change.

Either can be accomplished with XSL.

#1 requires checking if a graphic exists for that path, then adding it
to the HTML.  This may require setting standards for the filenames of
the graphics.

#2 really should just be static links in the XSL, but you can probably
complicate it and slow down your website if you really try.  If you
want the links to change between "authoring" and "live", use the XSL
parameters:
<A HREF="{$root}/staticPath/staticPage.html">

solprovider