Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com> on 2015/06/19 11:02:10 UTC

Changed Stratos navigation structure for 4.1.0

Hi Devs,

Please note that I changed the navigation structure for Stratos 4.1.0. [1]
and archived the Stratos 4.0.0 docs.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/Home

Regards,
Mariangela

*Mariangela Hills*
Senior Technical Writer - WSO2, Inc. http://wso2.com
Committer and PMC member - Apache Stratos
email:mariangela@wso2.com | mobile: +94 773 500185

Re: Changed Stratos navigation structure for 4.1.0

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Great! Thanks Mari! We will review the content and do the necessary changes.

Thanks

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> Please note that based on the feedback that I received, I reverted to the
> page tree [1] approach in the left navigation pane. Unfortunately, when
> having this approach there is no way of maintaining the highlighted section
> headings.
>

> [1] https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Page+Tree+Macro
>
> Regards,
> Mariangela
>

> *Mariangela Hills*
> Senior Technical Writer - WSO2, Inc. http://wso2.com
> Committer and PMC member - Apache Stratos
> email:mariangela@wso2.com | mobile: +94 773 500185
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mari/Shavindri,
>>
>> Great work on re-designing the navigation menu!
>>
>> I understand the technical difficulties we have with Confluence, but I
>> still think expandable menu is much more user-friendly than the new one as
>> Lasindu has mentioned.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Devs,
>>>
>>> Previously, we used the page tree macro to automatically generate the
>>> navigation pane [1]. This allowed us to view the hierarchy and highlight
>>> the page being currently viewed.
>>>
>>> Wiki Markup needs to be used to customize the left navigation pane.
>>> Shavindri and myself, have been comparing our docs against competitors and
>>> researching for ways to improve the look and feel of the documentation,
>>> while working within the limitations that  we have with Confluence.
>>>
>>> In Stratos wiki [2] Apache does not allow each product to have their own
>>> wiki space stylesheet, as a result the customizations that we can on the
>>> docs are very limited. In addition, in Wiki (Confluence) we can not have
>>> pages with the same name. Therefore, we have to add a prefix to each page
>>> name (e.g. 4.0.0 Introduction, 4.1.0 Introduction) to differentiate between
>>> the docs for the respective released versions. As a result of the latter,
>>> when we used the page tree tool [1] the structure looked a bit messy and
>>> cluttered, as the main sections that we have in the docs weren't clear at
>>> first sight.
>>>
>>> Shavindri and I, I have been experimenting with the Wiki Markup language
>>> to try to improve the new left navigation pane, to take into the aspect
>>> that Lasidu brought up. However, we haven't been very successful as the
>>> formatting has been getting affected. It would be great if someone who has
>>> a spare cycle can give us a small helping hand to see if we can come up
>>> with a work around.
>>>

>>> [1] https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Page+Tree+Macro
>>> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/Home
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mariangela
>>>

>>> *Mariangela Hills*
>>> Senior Technical Writer - WSO2, Inc. http://wso2.com
>>> Committer and PMC member - Apache Stratos

Imesh Gunaratne

Senior Technical Lead, WSO2

Posted by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>.
Hi All,