Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/06 02:01:23 UTC

Re: ASF Slack for community?

Dear Infra:

Can you please confirm we would not be terrible community members by using
the slack for our stated and intended purpose?

Since this is an event to grow the community, we need to ensure the uptime
of s.apache.org/slack-invite throughout, so verifying we are playing nicely
to avoid issues (for pettier individuals or if viewed as not playing nice,
I would be very concerned about that uptime, because downtime during the
event would have negative consequences for growing the Beam [and by
relation, collaboration] the Apache community.  Also, ASF is also a
"community partner" for the event, for whatever that is worth.

Furthermore, letting this start a kickoff for discussion if useful to
establish up an additional link or method to track, ex:
s.apache.org/beam-summit-slack-invite - if we are worried about [desire
for] attributing signups.  I suspect that's overkill (and would rather
not), but am willing to code that up for the foundation, if that helps this
get done.

Thanks,
Austin

P.S.  Thanks, Roy.