Posted to user@drill.apache.org by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> on 2016/11/01 14:45:51 UTC

DRILL_LOG_PREFIX in drill-config

Hey all,

I am getting my head around the new Drill config files in 1.8, and I have
been setting DRILL_LOG_PREFIX in previous versions. Based on what I am
seeing in drill-config.sh though, it looks like I no longer can set this as
instead of using a "If set use what's set otherwise default to" methodology
like other variables, drill-config.sh just exports a static value... is
this correct?

My goal is to have logs all in a single directory but have prefixes based
on the host names... "centralized" logging if you will :) Is this possible
in 1.8 or do I need a JIRA?

export DRILL_LOG_PREFIX="$DRILL_LOG_DIR/drillbit"

John

Re: DRILL_LOG_PREFIX in drill-config

Posted by Paul Rogers <pr...@maprtech.com>.
Hi John,

Yes, that’s what the line in drill-config.sh does:

export DRILL_LOG_NAME=${DRILL_LOG_NAME:-"drillbit”}

If a log name has been provided, it is used. If not, then “drillbit” is the default.

I guessed you were a bit busy, so I went ahead and filed a JIRA for this: DRILL-4986.

I also submitted a pull request to make this change. The unit tests show that you can set the DRILL_LOG_NAME variable in either the environment or drill-env.sh and have it “do the right thing.”

You mentioned you are on 1.8. If you are not yet ready to upgrade 1.9, you can grab the new scripts from 1.9 to replace those in your 1.8 build — things should work fine.

- Paul

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.

Posted by Paul Rogers <pr...@maprtech.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Paul Rogers <pr...@maprtech.com>.
Hi John,

Please file a JIRA for this. In fact, if you have a fix, please go ahead and issue a pull request; I’ll review it immediately.

Thanks,

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.