Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Christian Gosch <ch...@inovex.de> on 2011/03/16 10:07:16 UTC

Use as mock for testing FTP client implementations?

Hi,

I am looking for a FTP/FTPS protocol listener (server) which I can
configure to simulate special error conditions on the server side.

For example I have the problem that in a real situation intermittently a

3rd party FTP server which is out of control for me accepts "connect",
but does not process "login". Instead it waits infinitely, and the
client has to cope with this.

It would be nice to have some implementation acting as FTP server which
I can configure to deliberately perform in this way, so as to check my
implementation whether it correctly timeouts in this situation e. g.

Is it possible to achieve this with Apache Ftpserver with small effort?

TIA / Regards,
--
Dipl.-Inform. Christian Gosch, PMI PMP
Systems Architecture, Project Management

inovex GmbH
Büro Pforzheim
Karlsruher Strasse 71
D-75179 Pforzheim
Tel: +49 (0)7231 3191-85
Fax: +49 (0)7231 3191-91
c.gosch@inovex.de
www.inovex.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Pforzheim
AG Mannheim, HRB 502126
Geschäftsführer: Stephan Müller

Re: Use as mock for testing FTP client implementations?

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Christian Gosch
<ch...@inovex.de> wrote:
> I am looking for a FTP/FTPS protocol listener (server) which I can
> configure to simulate special error conditions on the server side.
>
> For example I have the problem that in a real situation intermittently a
>
> 3rd party FTP server which is out of control for me accepts "connect",
> but does not process "login". Instead it waits infinitely, and the
> client has to cope with this.
>
> It would be nice to have some implementation acting as FTP server which
> I can configure to deliberately perform in this way, so as to check my
> implementation whether it correctly timeouts in this situation e. g.
>
> Is it possible to achieve this with Apache Ftpserver with small effort?

Yes. You can simulate cases like this using the Ftplet API in FtpServer.

/niklas