Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Niño James Ramos <ne...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/26 05:08:46 UTC

Websphere to Geronimo

Greetings.

I got to see your ApacheCon presentation - J2EE Application Development on
Apache Geronimo Simplified using Eclipse.

May I ask:
I am currently using Rational Software Architect v6.0.1.2
Are there any available plugin for RSA that can support Apache Geronimo for
easier deployment?

Also, do you know of any howto of converting EAR files.
I have an EAR file deployed using the WebSphere v6.0 runtime
and I would want it to run using Apache Geronimo. or wouldn't it be
possible?

Your response will be very much appreciated.
Thank you very much.

- James

Re: Websphere to Geronimo

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org> wrote:
> The biggest problem, is the level of WTP used by Rational.
> RAD/RSA 7.0 uses Eclispe 3.2 and WTP 1.5.
> RAD/RSA 7.5 uses Eclipse 3.3 and WTP 2.0, which is the Eclipse levels GEP
> 2.1.1 was tested against.  I think Tim tried running GEP 2.1.1 on RAD 7.5,
> but ran into a missing Console prereq....  you'd have to see if he has more
> info.

Well, you can install RAD 7.5 atop Eclipse IDE you've got installed
elsewhere. It might be easier than we think to have RAD 7.5+Eclipse
IDE 3.3.2+GEP 2.1.1 bundled together. Anyone fancy trying it out?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski

Re: Websphere to Geronimo

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
The biggest problem, is the level of WTP used by Rational.
RAD/RSA 7.0 uses Eclispe 3.2 and WTP 1.5.
RAD/RSA 7.5 uses Eclipse 3.3 and WTP 2.0, which is the Eclipse levels
GEP 2.1.1 was tested against.  I think Tim tried running GEP 2.1.1 on
RAD 7.5, but ran into a missing Console prereq....  you'd have to see if
he has more info.

As far as deploying a WAS EAR onto Geronimo, you would have to manually
migrate the WAS deployment descriptors and binding data into Geronimo
deployment plans, as I haven't seen a tool or tutorial on how to do this....

-Donald

Re: Websphere to Geronimo

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.
>> I have an EAR file deployed using the WebSphere v6.0 runtime
>> and I would want it to run using Apache Geronimo. or wouldn't it be
>> possible?

There is a tool available to help going the other way, migrating from
Geronimo to WAS.  See
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0804_stelzer/0804_stelzer.html.
Jacek is right, you'd have to manually port the EAR to Geronimo, and
add the appropriate Geronimo-specific deployment plans.  GEP can help.
 After you port your EAR to Geronimo, you should be able to keep both
the WAS- and Geronimo-specific deployment plans in the EAR so that it
may be deployed on WAS or Geronimo.

Ted Kirby

Re: Websphere to Geronimo

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 5:08 AM, Niño James Ramos <ne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> May I ask:

Hi James,

(This is sort of a question for the geronimo user mailing list and we
shouldn't be answering such here, but...it's the last time, deal?)

> I am currently using Rational Software Architect v6.0.1.2
> Are there any available plugin for RSA that can support Apache Geronimo for
> easier deployment?

AFAIK, RSA 6.0 is based on Eclipse 3.0 so although it was not tested
GEP should work fine I believe. Give it a shot and report to the
geronimo *user* mailing list.