Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Arijit Sarkar Job Gmail <ar...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/15 18:45:42 UTC

MAX Simultaneous connections with Tomcat on Windows XP Pro

All,

This has been troubling me for some time now. and I don't have an answer to
it.

We all know that IIS and XP Pro have a 10 concurrent connection limit .
If I am using Apache Tomcat on XP Pro, do I still have this limit on the
connections?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Arijit S.

Re: MAX Simultaneous connections with Tomcat on Windows XP Pro

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Arijit Sarkar Job Gmail wrote:
> WOW!! That was fast..
>
> So If I have an web application deployed on tomcat and windows XP pro,
> theoretically, unlimited users can connect to the application
> simultaneously?
> Tomcat or Windows XP does not place any limits to that?

The only limits are resource limits (memory, cpu, network bandwidth,
etc) if you hit it with a lot of connections at a time, and what you
configure in tc's config files in order to control the performance and
stay within those resource limits (threads, mainly).

Re: MAX Simultaneous connections with Tomcat on Windows XP Pro

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: MAX Simultaneous connections with Tomcat on Windows XP Pro

Posted by Arijit Sarkar Job Gmail <ar...@gmail.com>.
This link on Microsoft specifies this very issue..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882
 It also says
" The connection limit refers to the number of redirector-based connections and is enforced for any file, print, named pipe, or mail slot session. The TCP connection limit is not enforced, but it may be bound by legal agreement to not permit more than 10 clients. "

Doesn’t this solidify our point that the connection limit is not for Http connections?

If used with IIS (a Microsoft product), it might be possible that they are enforcing this limit on IIS too. But with Tomcat we should be ok.. What say ?

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: MAX Simultaneous connections with Tomcat on Windows XP Pro

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Arijit Sarkar Job Gmail [mailto:arijit.k.sarkar@gmail.com]
> So If I have an web application deployed on tomcat and windows XP pro,
> theoretically, unlimited users can connect to the application
> simultaneously?
> Tomcat or Windows XP does not place any limits to that?

There are no limits imposed by XP's license - XP's 10-connection limit applies only to it acting as a SMB server, and doesn't affect anything else.  Tomcat also doesn't impose any limits due to licensing.

Of course, you may still hit limits due to memory use, processor use, network bandwidth etc, number of concurrent sockets open etc..., but they're the standard ones you'd encounter on any operating system.

                - Peter

RE: MAX Simultaneous connections with Tomcat on Windows XP Pro

Posted by Arijit Sarkar Job Gmail <ar...@gmail.com>.
WOW!! That was fast..

So If I have an web application deployed on tomcat and windows XP pro,
theoretically, unlimited users can connect to the application
simultaneously?
Tomcat or Windows XP does not place any limits to that?

If that is true... it would be really pleasing to my ears...

> This has been troubling me for some time now. and I don't have an answer
> it.
>
> We all know that IIS and XP Pro have a 10 concurrent connection limit .
> If I am using Apache Tomcat on XP Pro, do I still have this limit on the
> connections?

No, because they're a different kind of connection.

Re: MAX Simultaneous connections with Tomcat on Windows XP Pro

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.