Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com> on 2018/01/09 02:32:48 UTC

[XenServer] meltdown-spectre

 Hi,

From recent blog post, I've read that system using full virtualization such
as KVM, VMware or Xen-HVM are not affected?  Anyhow, from the latest hotfix
of XenServer 7.1cu1 hf8, it look like they systematically convert VM from
PV to HVM, so in the case of a VM stop/start by CloudStack, a PV vm would
be restarted as HVM.

Look like this could be problematic if your VM kernel does not support
both, we've just starting tested and so far look like our Debian systemvm
template work fine, it can be created as HVM.

Another point is that Citrix released an hotfix for xs7.2, 7.3 but not for
7.1, you need to cumulative update to remain on 7.1 which is LTS.

And last, does anyone did some benchmark before and after the kernel fix
for Meltdown ?  Some report state 30-35% cpu usage increase (not hypervisor
specific) and  Lucian [1] might indicate it would depend on the cpu model.
Any metrics to share ?  We are doing some tests on our side we should be
able to share some stuff soon...

Regards,

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/wkzze3n24mns274x

Re: [XenServer] meltdown-spectre

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com>.
Hi,

Another problem,  VR are configured via eth0 (cloudlinklocal) that is
create via PV params of the VM on XenServer. So Creation HVM VR will not
work. We will have to think about an alternative way to setup eth0 on VR on
XenServer.
We will file a jira issue about this. This will be problematic with XS
7,1cu1, 7.2, 7.3

Tim, yes fro XS template, the maping, at least on Xs7.1 seams to work just
fine. They were pretty much all as HVM exept Centos 6, Debian,.. until the
Meltdown hotfix.

Posted by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>.
PLD,

One thing to add to your testing is template management. When I was doing
all the Packer stuff with XS 6.5 and 7, ACS needed to know if the template
was PV or HVM to provision properly. No idea if the ACS template logic has
changed since then, but something to be aware of.

From a performance perspective with XS 6.5 started having newer XS

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.