Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by David Fryer <df...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/16 16:39:05 UTC

New to Bigtop, where to start?

Hi Bigtop!

I'm looking to use bigtop to help set up a small hadoop cluster. I'm
currently messing about with the hadoop tarball and all of the associated
xml files, and I don't really have the time or expertise to get it up and
working.

Jay suggested that bigtop may be a good solution, so I've decided to give
it a shot. Unfortunately, documentation is fairly sparse and I'm not quite
sure where to start. I've cloned the github repo and used the startup.sh
script found in bigtop/bigtop-deploy/vm/vagrant-puppet to set up a virtual
cluster, but I am unsure how to apply this to physical machines. I'm also
not quite sure how to get hadoop and hdfs up and working.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
David Fryer

Re: New to Bigtop, where to start?

Posted by David Fryer <df...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark, each machine now runs in pseudo-distributed mode now!

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.
You can find details of this problem here, with one solution highlighted:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-107. In a Bigtop deployment you
will find that file under /var/lib/hadoop-hdfs/.

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Fryer <df...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sean,

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.