Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/04/20 21:53:34 UTC

A good quote

Link: http://slashdot.org/interviews/01/04/20/1455252.shtml
Posted by: Roblimo, on 2001-04-20 17:00:37 EDT
Dept: burned-out-on-monty, topic: Programming

   does Python need a CPAN?
   by po_boy
   One of the reasons I still write some things in PERL is because I know
   that I can find and install about a zillion modules quickly and easily
   through the CPAN repository and CPAN module. I'm pretty sure that if
   Python had something similar, like the Vaults of Parnassus but more
   evolved that I would abandon PERL almost entirely.

   Do you see things in a similar way? If so, why has Python not evolved
   something similar or better, and what can I do to help it along in
   this realm?

   Guido:
   It's coming! Check out the action in the catalog-sig
   [6]http://python.org/sigs/catalog-sig/. You can help by joining.

   One reason why it hasn't happened already is that first we needed to
   have a good package installation story. With the widespread adoption
   of distutils, this is taken care of, and I foresee a bright future for
   the catalog activities.