Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by janI <ja...@apache.org> on 2012/12/31 11:09:51 UTC

[discussion] Buildbot standard a.o or our own.

Is there a reason why we use our own buildbot and not one of the infra
supported ones, like e.g. Continuum.

Sharing servers with other and having other people maintain the build
routines should be to our advantage.

Or do I see life in the wrong light ?

rgds
Jan I

Re: [discussion] Buildbot standard a.o or our own.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
On 1/2/2013 2:25 AM, janI wrote:
> Andrea:
>
> thx for your observations.
>
> With the very low activity we have on trunk, there might be no reason for
> statistics.
>
> I am simply just used to a more comfortable and flexible build system. If I
> want to check my l10n changes on different platforms I have to (or so I
> have been told) merge it to trunk and maybe be a pain for all others, an
> alternative (which is seen in other build systems) is a possibility to
> register a branch for a single night-compile.
If it was a persistent branch or tag, it would be very easy to set up a
nightly build for it.  (I'd be happy to do that, and we have resources
available to do it)
Beyond that it gets more difficult.  Our build is pretty complex, and
each of the platforms takes a bit of tweaking - and still, they can be a
bit finicky.

The other issue is that we have a pretty long running build - 2 to 12
hours - and it contains a lot of long running processes.  The problem
here is that the ci frameworks have a hard time canceling a build, when
they kill the process, they often leave around multiple child processes,
some which hang and cause future builds to break. This is a long winded
description of why the current approach focuses on nightly builds vs.
triggered builds.

Each of our builds is also pretty resource intensive, and if we are not
careful, it is pretty easy to cause problems for the projects who we
share buildbots with.

The above isn't meant to say that things are best as they are, or even
where we want it to be. This also isn't to suggest there aren't many
improvements to be made.   I'm just trying to illuminate the hurdles we
face.

A.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
Andrea:

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 01.01.2013 23:07, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> janI wrote:
>> I might be wrong but do we e.g.
>> - get automatic mail when a build fails ?
>> - have a statistic over our build through time ?
>
> Notifications are sent to openoffice-commits, see for example
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-commits/201301.mbox/%3C20130101075333.41945C00F8@aegis.apache.org%3E
>

> I don't know if we have a handy way to see the build history and not
> just the latest build status displayed at
> http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/

The "waterfall display" at http://s.apache.org/aoo_bbots1 gives a good
overview of the current and recent activity of all our buildbots.

The history of individual build results is available too, e.g.
http://ci.apache.org/builders/aoo-win7 show the status of last five
builds of the buildbot responsible for our nightly Windows builds.

The finer details of each build are also available in e.g.
   http://ci.apache.org/builders/aoo-win7/builds/450
and an even more detailed overview of its latest build is at

http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/buildlogs/win/log/wntmsci12.pro.build.html

Hope that helps.

Happy new year to everyone!
Herbert

Re: [discussion] Buildbot standard a.o or our own.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
I did know that we use the machines for building:

http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/

But it seemed to me we could integrate deeper using e.g. continum and
sonar, to get better monitoring and reporting. I might be wrong but do we
e.g.
- get automatic mail when a build fails ?
- have a statistic over our build through time ?

I could also see an enhancement where we run an analysis of which part of
the code changes most, compared to which part of the code has most reported
bugs. I am used to that type of reports because if gives a feeling of the
weak spots in the code.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Jan,

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.