Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2001/11/17 20:18:31 UTC

RE: How to send a language specific "subject" for new userconfirm ation e-mail

> Umm interesting, I can see your point that maintaining lots of files
> is a pain - but its just feels(?) nicer to put the whole text into
> the template - rather than 3 or 4 localization strings around dynamic
> bits....

Having the experience of maintaining this kind of system, i know the
problem closely, and finally the good solution is somewhat more radical,
strings finally go into db.. (or xml for that matter)

( next is a Ramdom thougth take it with care :)
The problem for the maintenance is that is cumbersome to maintain the
"default" language.., this is easy solved by simply adding a default
parameter inside the Localization call, and do not using *.properties
files for that language, something like :

$i10n.getString(SENDCONFIRMATIONEMAIL_SENT, "Email Sent!"}

or in java code

Localization.getString(SENDCONFIRMATIONEMAIL_SENT, "Email Sent!"}

This way maintaining the default language is easy ( well more verbose
but only editing the template will be needed ), in addition we can
invent new keys as needed, later when using the pages, spit some
information in logs about missing keys, this will make easy to add them
to the correspondent *.properties file..

What do you think ?

> And having one big file (per language) full of localization strings -
> that maybe unused now... - seems a bit cumbersome too...

This is correct, finding unused strings is difficult.., and having a big
file for that too, but for someone doing the REAL job, is far more easy
than to have to modify and format a bunch of files.. think of it i will
be doing next, and i think that the price you pay with the above
solution is really easy to maintain "en", makes life easier for all
other poor not "en" guys :))

> Maybe its just a bit more disciplined than I have been to date... ;-)
>
> But I will follow the crowd.
>
> Chris

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega