Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/03/30 23:56:58 UTC

Sun Article On Velocity

Velocity 1.0 will be released on Monday 4-2-01 (the article was published
early).

    <http://dcb.sun.com/practices/profiles/velocity.jsp>

:-)

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: Sun Article On Velocity

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
I took the liberty of submitting this to Linux Today
(http://linuxtoday.com/). Hope they publish it.

------------------
Unlike Java Server Pages (JSP) which require a complicated and long
process of:

edit->transform->compile->load->run

Velocity uses:

edit->parse->run

cycle, while following a strict Model-View-Controller (MVC) model,
unlike most JSP based applications.

The core of Velocity is Velocity Template Language (VTL), a simple
language most web designers can get familiar with in one afternoon.
Instead of writing Java code inside JSP's, web designers can focus on
designing pages and use building blocks written by programmers. Velocity
avoids resource exhaustion problems in production environments and is
much easier to debug due to the shorter cycle then JSP's, which have to
go through a generation stage to become servlets. This leads to a clean
separation of design and programming tasks, giving everyone a chance to
do what they do best. Naturally, the building blocks are written in Java
thus preserving all the benefits of the platform.

Here is an article that talks more in detail about Velocity:

http://dcb.sun.com/practices/profiles/velocity.jsp

Velocity is homed at Apache's Jakarta project:

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/

and its 1.0 release is scheduled in a few days.

Did I mention Velocity is an open source project where bugs are fixed
faster then you can say Microsoft ;-)
------------------

Bojan

Re: Sun Article On Velocity

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:
>
> > Velocity 1.0 will be released on Monday 4-2-01 (the article was published
> > early).
> >
> >     <http://dcb.sun.com/practices/profiles/velocity.jsp>
> >
> > :-)
> >

> Congrats on your upcoming release!
>
> And it's refreshing to see Jon type a smiley after typing the ".jsp" in
> the above URL.  :-)

Don't get used to it...

:)

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                               geirm@optonline.net

Re: Sun Article On Velocity

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/30/01 2:17 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Congrats on your upcoming release!

Thanks Craig! :-)

> And it's refreshing to see Jon type a smiley after typing the ".jsp" in
> the above URL.  :-)

Yea, the best quote in the article...

The Model-View-Controller Model
Velocity acts as a separation layer between the Java code (the
Model-Controller layer) and the HTML template code (the View layer). Support
for the Model-View-Controller (MVC) approach is one of Velocity's strengths,
allowing for more maintainable and better-designed Web pages. Unlike JSPs,
Velocity does not allow Java code to be embedded within Web pages, which
would break the MVC model.

Oh the beautiful irony of it all...

:-)

Re: Sun Article On Velocity

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

> Velocity 1.0 will be released on Monday 4-2-01 (the article was published
> early).
>
>     <http://dcb.sun.com/practices/profiles/velocity.jsp>
>
> :-)

Congrats on your upcoming release!

And it's refreshing to see Jon type a smiley after typing the ".jsp" in
the above URL.  :-)

> -jon

Craig