Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Todd Bradley <To...@nirvanix.com> on 2013/08/28 15:49:47 UTC

Chainsaw

Years ago I when I first learned Apache Logging, it was with log4j. And later, the Chainsaw GUI app came along, which was very useful. Now I'm using log4net, and decided that Chainsaw might be a good way to monitor my application's logging in real time. But I was surprised to see that the most recent build is from early 2006, well over 7 years ago. Am I looking in the right place?

http://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/download.html

It seems hard to believe that Chainsaw hasn't advanced since then. It starts up on my Windows 7 desktop, but the GUI behavior is a bit weird so far. So I'm wondering if the app is really compatible with current Java versions. Do any of you use Chainsaw with log4net, and - if so - is this the correct build for me to use?

Thanks,
Todd.

Re: Chainsaw

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thats right, Chainsaw is discussed on log4j-(user|dev).

That said, there is an updated client on Scotts people server somewhere.
The official release is blocked by the release of the extras dependency.
Once resolved, Chainsaw will see a new version

If you ping log4j-dev/user, Scott will surely point you to the right
snapshot version

AW: Chainsaw

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,

Re: Chainsaw

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Todd,

Am 29.08.13 18:43, schrieb Todd Bradley:

> Thanks to Dominik, Christian, and Scott for your replies.  It's great
> to have so much help, even if some of it contradicts each other. As
> far as which list is right, I assumed this would be the place to go
> for help using Chainsaw and log4net together. Dominik and Christian
> say that's wrong, Scott says that's possibly right. Oh well.

when it comes to Chainsaw, Scott is your expert. Chainsaw itself is
usually discussed on log4j-*.. I was not sure if Scott would read
log4-net lists, but it seems he does and so what he says counts again.
So feel free to keep on asking here.

>  I did download the Chainsaw snapshot from Scott's site and it's
> working great with my log4net app -- way better than the older version
> I originally tried. I think this combination will catch on where I
> work as a useful tool for both Development and QA.

Thats great to hear! Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
Christian

AW: Thread Safety in Log

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
At this point I usually quote Hector Correa:

 <http://hectorcorrea.com/blog/log4net-thread-safe-but-not-process-safe>
http://hectorcorrea.com/blog/log4net-thread-safe-but-not-process-safe

You can verify that log4net is indeed thread safe with a 3 liner console
application. However,  most people confuse thread safety with process
safety. log4net is – like many other programs - not process safe and that
has been written down in the FAQ several years ago:

 <http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/faq.html#single-file>
http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/faq.html#single-file

If log4net does not what you want it to do, then you’re probably using it in
a way it was not intended to be used.

Posted by Rafael Thome Guimaraes <p-...@bvmf.com.br>.
Hi Bill!

Thanks for your answer!

My case is exactly the one of the l4ndash link you passed. I am using "RollingFileAppender" through the ILog interface.

"
[...]

[cid:image001.gif@01C9D55A.E5179270]

_________________________________

________________________________

RE: Thread Safety in Log

RE: Thread Safety in Log

Posted by Rafael Thome Guimaraes <p-...@bvmf.com.br>.
One correction: I am using RollingFileAppender

RE: Thread Safety in Log

Posted by Todd Bradley <To...@nirvanix.com>.

Thread Safety in Log

RE: Chainsaw