Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Phil Shrimpton <ph...@shrimpton.co.uk> on 2003/07/17 15:06:21 UTC

Validator : date

Hi,

I am having problems with client side date validation in 1.1.  If I set the
depends value to include 'date', there seems to be a problem in the
javascript generated.  I get the following error..

Error: Length is null or not an object.

The Error seems to be in the validation-rules.xml for the date valadation,
line 12

 (datePattern.length > 0)) {

Any ideas?

Phil
--
 12:56pm  up 92 days,  1:49,  1 user,  load average: 0.34, 0.13, 0.05
           ICQ: 760757       AIM: pjshrimpton       Y!: pjshrimpton

Re: Validator : date

Posted by Phil Shrimpton <ph...@shrimpton.co.uk>.
On Thursday 17 July 2003 13:15, Michael Nascimento Santos wrote:

Hi,

> You must define a datePattern var in your validation.xml config, such as:
>
> <field property="aDate" depends="date">
>     <var>
>       <var-name>datePattern</var-name>
>       <var-value>MM-dd-yyyy</var-value>
>     </var>
> </field>

Same error, but if I change it to...

var-name>datePatternStrict</var-name>

..it works.  Also, according to the docs I have, you don't need to supply the
datePattern, as it will default to the locales short date format

Phil

--
  2:02pm  up 92 days,  2:55,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.01
           ICQ: 760757       AIM: pjshrimpton       Y!: pjshrimpton

Re: Validator : date

Posted by Michael Nascimento Santos <mi...@hotmail.com>.
You must define a datePattern var in your validation.xml config, such as:

<field property="aDate" depends="date">
    <var>
      <var-name>datePattern</var-name>
      <var-value>MM-dd-yyyy</var-value>
    </var>
</field>

This way, the validator knows when the value entered is valid according to
your pattern. In my example, 07-17-03 would be valid, but not 17-07-03.

[]s
Michael Nascimento Santos
JSR-207 Expert Group Member
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4
Sun Certified Web Component Developer for J2EE
Moderador SouJava - www.soujava.org.br