Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/06 23:21:54 UTC

Proposal: require Java7 for Cassandra 2.0

Java 6 EOL is this month.  Java 7 will be two years old when C* 2.0
comes out (July).  Anecdotally, a bunch of people are running C* on
Java7 with no issues, except for the Snappy-on-OS-X problem (which
will be moot if LZ4 becomes our default, as looks likely).

Upgrading to Java7 lets us take advantage of new (two year old)
features as well as simplifying interoperability with other
dependencies, e.g., Jetty's BlockingArrayQueue requires java7.

Thoughts?

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Proposal: require Java7 for Cassandra 2.0

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
+1

--
Sylvain

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Counter proposal java 8 and closures. Jk

Posted by Carl Yeksigian <ca...@yeksigian.com>.
+1

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
+1
-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@acunu.com>.
http://i.imgur.com/kQWV2.gif

--
Eric Evans
Acunu | http://www.acunu.com | @acunu

Re: Proposal: require Java7 for Cassandra 2.0

Posted by Anton Prakash <an...@cloudtalk.com>.
unsubscribe

Posted by Ajith Kannan <ka...@mail.montclair.edu>.
+1

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
http://twitter.com/tjake

Re: Proposal: require Java7 for Cassandra 2.0

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Aleksey Yeschenko <al...@yeschenko.com>.
+1

--
AY

Posted by Pavel Yaskevich <po...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Tupshin Harper <tu...@tupshin.com>.
+1

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vijay <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards,
</VJ>

Posted by Michael Kjellman <mk...@barracuda.com>.
There seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic in the C* Community.
Most people look at the Datastax docs that recommend Java 6 and ask why
that recommendation is there. Threads never seem to "finish" with a clear
definitive answer. There seem to be about 3-4 of these for the past few
months on the Users list.

I love the idea of requiring Java 7 explicitly + clarifying the project's
stance on the JVM requirement overall.

Might also want to lock it down to something like >Java 7 u8 (u13 might be
even nicer given 2.0's timeframe) given the early instability in Java7's
early releases (and I guess allow but maybe warn for OpenJDK7?).

My 2-cents.

Best,
Michael