Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com> on 2012/06/06 19:37:00 UTC

Mahout Release : 0.7

Hi dev,

Please notify when the code is completely freezed.

Paritosh

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
IRC is generally really a bad way with Hadoop since we are spread over a
gazillion time zones.  You might get a response on IRC

Or not.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Ping. Any feedback on the questions below?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 7, 2012 8:49 AM, "Roman Shaposhnik" <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM, tom pierce <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> > It's going to be tough, because we actually planned to have the release
> > out already and none of us really is a YARN expert.
>
> I can definitely help with the YARN part and I can totally offer the
testing
> infrastructure on Bigtop's Jenkins that deploys fully distributed cluster
> based on Hadoop 0.4.0 and can run Mahout tests (well, at this point
> it is really just a wrapper around Mahout examples, but still).
>
> > Unfortunately, our own Jenkins tasks that run clustering examples aren't
> > passing right now, either, so I'm not even sure whether the problem is
> > new to Hadoop 2.
>
> And that's essentially where I need your help guys. I'll dig into this
issue
> tomorrow, but given that I'm rather new to Mahout (still) I might need
> some support. What's the best way to ask quick questions? IRC?

I fixed Jenkins. Try now. I am travelling so mail is better for me and many
others.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Clustering+of+synthetic+control+data

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by tom pierce <tc...@apache.org>.
It's going to be tough, because we actually planned to have the release
out already and none of us really is a YARN expert.  If there's some
common trap we're falling into with how we're specifying paths or
setting up jobs and we can fix it easily, I'm guessing no one would
object.  Of course, we'd have to stay compatible with Hadoop 0.20/0.23.

Unfortunately, our own Jenkins tasks that run clustering examples aren't
passing right now, either, so I'm not even sure whether the problem is
new to Hadoop 2.  Is the test you're running just a script based on this
wiki page?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Clustering+of+synthetic+control+data

-tom

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by tom pierce <tc...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Everything I contributed is in the category of minor fixes, minor
speed-ups. It's fair to say "many small fixes and improvements".

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
There's a way, sure, but the easiest thing truly is to re-run the
build. If tests have definitely passed, you can "-DskipTests" to
really speed it up. Make sure you undo whatever happened in the build
first with the rollback command.

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.
Drew,

I must thank you for this help as it did work. I also feel that I should share the findings with the group.
Somehow, both of these commands did not work for me ( to skip tests ).
 mvn -Darguments="-DskipTests=true" release:prepare ...
 mvn -Darguments="-Dmaven.test.skip" release:prepare ...

But this one did work :
 mvn -DpreparationGoals="clean compile" release:prepare ...

Apart from this, there was one more thing related to Heap Size Error that I experienced while building the release.
I had to
export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx1g"
to get rid of the Heap Size Error.
Setting JAVA_OPTS did not help. I don't know why.

I will update the "How To Release" page with these.

Paritosh

Thanks Drew. This certainly looks like the way to do it.
However, the tests have already executed. Will use it if the upload fails again.

Thanks,
Paritosh
Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.
After two tries ( due to Java Heap Space Error ), I have been successful in creating the release candidate for Mahout 0.7.
It can be found at https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemahout-216/.

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@apache.org>.
Paritosh,

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.
Paritosh,

If you want to try it again at some point, try:

mvn -Darguments="-DskipTests=true" release:prepare

Or something along the lines of:

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.
Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I don't think that is the case.  But if you have just run them and are
trying to cut a clean release, it is reasonable to want to cycle on the
release itself without the tests.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jun 12, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

> On 8 June 2012 20:38, Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com> wrote:
>> I think -Dmaven.test.skip and -DskipTests=true will both skip tests.
>
> Is it fair to say we're all skipping the tests, almost all of the
> time? Doesn't feel a healthy habit... How hard would it be to have a
> named option for running a faster 'lite tests' subset?

I think most of us run them regularly, but it is a bit of a burden.  At a minimum, it would be nice if we could parallelize the modules (I don't have any hope for parallelizing at the class level).  We also could likely annotate the M/R tests and be able to run them separately.

-Grant

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Dan Brickley <da...@danbri.org>.

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.
-DskipTests=true ?

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
Yes, I'm done.

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
so Robin and Jeff,

RE: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com>.
Ok Thanks.

Most probably, I will create release candidates tonight ( few hours from now ).

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

------

Re: Mahout Release : 0.7

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.