Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/01/10 19:54:58 UTC

I'll be in Palo Alto on Friday

Does anyone in the Bay Area want to get together for dinner or
after dinner?  I arranged for a late flight back.

......Roy

p.s. In case you are wondering, I am doing the following in the morning
     and then will be at an HTTP meeting at EIT in the afternoon.

Friday, January 12, 1996
9:00am-9:30am: Coffee/Network
9:30am-12:00pm: BART Meeting

Hyatt Rickey's Hotel - Palo Alto
4219 El Camino Real, Palo Alto
Tel (415) 493-8000

There is a $15.00 charge for non-members.
Checks should be made payable to UC Regents.
This charge is waived for students and the unemployed.

World Wide Web Software: An Insider's View

Roy T. Fielding, Graduate Student Researcher, UCI; fielding@ics.uci.edu,
714-824-2776

Over the past two years, the World-Wide Web Project has experienced double-
exponential growth in the deployment and use of its technologies. Web addresses
(URLs) can now be seen in every form of advertisement--magazines, radio,
television, and even on the banners of passing airplanes -- each directing the
reader to further information resources. All of the hype associated with this
growth has focused on the browser technology (Mosaic, Netscape, etc.), but such
clients are actually the least significant aspect of Web technology and the
easiest to replace.

This presentation will examine the underlying technology of the Web, including
discussion of the WWW Project history and the philosophy behind its design, how
that design is (and is not) reflected in current Web products, and the
architecture which will enable the next generation of Web software to become
truly ubiquitous. Our primary focus will be on the scalability, extensibility,
and low entry-barriers present in the Web design. In addition, we will discuss
the dynamics of globally-distributed software engineering teams and their role
in building the Web as a collaborative development effort.

Biography: Mr. Fielding is presently a Ph.D. student in the Department of
Information and Computer Science at the University of California, Irvine, a
researcher within the Irvine Research Unit in Software, and the only
independent member of the W3 Consortium design team. Over the past three years
he has been an active developer within the World-Wide Web Project, creating and
freely distributing software for access log analysis (wwwstat), multi-owner
maintenance of distributed webs (MOMspider), a client library for perl
applications (libwww-perl), and a founding member of the Apache Group (creators
of the Apache HTTPd server). Mr. Fielding is the author of the Internet
proposed standard for relative URLs (RFC 1808), editor of the IETF and W3C
specifications for the current generation of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol
(HTTP/1.x), and primary author of the HTTP/1.1 protocol. During the past
summer, he was a Visiting Scholar at the MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
and World-Wide Web Consortium (W3C). He has been educated at Reed College and
received the BS and MS degrees, in Information and Computer Science, from the
University of California, Irvine.

To receive electronic announcements instead of hard copies, send email to:
irus@ics.uci.edu

Upcoming BART Meeting Dates:
----------------------------

Friday, February 9, 1996
Friday, March 8, 1996
Friday, April 12, 1996

Upcoming Topics:
----------------

Mobile Code
Internet Commerce
Collaboration Technology

Coordinators:
-------------

Ian Thomas, ithomas@netcom.com, (415) 964-1997
Sriram Sankar, sankar@eng.sun.com, (415) 969-7269
Armond Inselberg, adi@spll.spl.loral.com, (408) 473-4302

The Irvine Research Unit in Software wishes to thank its member companies:

Sustaining Members:

   Hughes Aircraft Company * McDonnell Douglas * Northrop Grumman Corporation *
   Rockwell * Sun Microsystems Laboratories * TRW

Sponsoring Members:

   Beckman Instruments* Computing Experience Corporation *
   Continuus Software Corporation * FileNet Corporation * GTE *
   Logicon Ultrasystems Space & Engineering Operations * Loral *
   NASA Ames Research Center * Relsys International, Inc.

For further information on BART or IRUS,
  contact Debra Brodbeck (714) 824-2260; brodbeck@ics.uci.edu

No Reservations Required

Directions
==========

Hyatt Rickey's
4219 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306
(415) 493-8000

Directions:

 From Highway 101:

Take the San Antonio Road South Exit. Follow San Antonio Road
two miles to El Camino Real. Hyatt Rickeys is on the right
just before the second stop light.

 From Highway 280:

Take the Page Mill Road exit. Follow page mill East to El
Camino Real and turn right on El Camino Real. Hyatt Rickeys
will be on the left, at the corner of East Charleston and El
Camino (approximately one and one half miles from exit).

------- End of Forwarded Message

Re: I'll be in Palo Alto on Friday

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Does anyone in the Bay Area want to get together for dinner or
> after dinner?  I arranged for a late flight back.

Yeah, definitely!  In fact, I think a lot of us could use a face-to-face
to get to know each other as more than email handles, and this Friday
seems as decent as any.  Are you flying out of SF or San Jose?  Organic
can be open for such an event, or we could have it in the south bay if
that's where the majority of folk are.

Lessee, the new-httpd list members in California are:

{cliff,brian,ogd}@organic.com
{dgaudet,sanner,welch,carl}@wired.com
robm@netscape.com
{geoffw,kevinh,ses}@eit.com (Simon, are you still out in these parts?)
akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us
sameer@c2.org
brycer@priscilla.ultima.org

sounds like a quorum.  :)  Anyone else interested?

	Brian