Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Villemos, Gert" <ge...@logica.com> on 2009/09/11 16:05:15 UTC

Automatically calculate boost factor

I would like to automatically calculate the boost factor of a document
based on the values of other fields. For example;

<field name="typeBoost">1.2</field>
<field name="versionBoost">1.5</field>
<field name="relevanceBoost">0.8</field>

Document boost = 1.2*1.5*0.8

Is it possible to get SOLr to calculate the boost automatically upon
submission based on field values?

Cheers,
Gert.

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  / Pour contribuer comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei, die Umwelt zu sch�tzen. /  Por favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente nao imprimindo este correio electronico.

Re: Automatically calculate boost factor

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery.  Either that or roll it up into the
: document boost, but that loses some precision.

but if that's what you want to do then yes: solr can compute the
documenta boost on submission based on the field values ... *IF* if you
write an UpdateProcessor to do that.

: > <field name="typeBoost">1.2</field>
: > <field name="versionBoost">1.5</field>
: > <field name="relevanceBoost">0.8</field>
: >
: > Document boost = 1.2*1.5*0.8
: >
: > Is it possible to get SOLr to calculate the boost automatically upon
: > submission based on field values?

-Hoss

Re: Automatically calculate boost factor

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Sounds like you want to use a FunctionQuery:  See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery

On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:05 AM, Villemos, Gert wrote:

> I would like to automatically calculate the boost factor of a document
> based on the values of other fields. For example;
>
> <field name="typeBoost">1.2</field>
> <field name="versionBoost">1.5</field>
> <field name="relevanceBoost">0.8</field>
>
> Document boost = 1.2*1.5*0.8
>
> Is it possible to get SOLr to calculate the boost automatically upon
> submission based on field values?
>
> Cheers,
> Gert.
>

> Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this
> email  / Pour contribuer comme Logica au respect de l'environnement,
> merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken Sie diese
> Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei, die Umwelt zu
> schützen. /  Por favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente nao
> imprimindo este correio electronico.

> information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be
> copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you
> are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-
> mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Thank
> you.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene: