Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by IvanIC <Iv...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/11 17:48:17 UTC

Need an advice on how to share https session between test plans

Hello

We have encountered this problem:

We have several jmeter tests (test plans) which use several identical steps
at the beginning and at the end of the test.
Previously we decided to take all of the initial steps out to make the test
plan setup.jmx, and the ending steps into the test plan teardown.jmx and
just launch them using IncludeController in every test.

At the setup.jmx steps we log in to the site, create a project (the site has
this functionality)
teardown.jmx just makes some checks and logs out.

The problem is that jmeter creates different http sessions in the main test
plan and in setup.jmx.
It means that a different http session was used in setup.jmx, and the
project created during setup is not available in the main test plan.

How can we share the http session between the current test plan and the one
being included?

RE: Need an advice on how to share https session between test plans

Posted by IvanIC <Iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrian,

thanks for your reply. But unfortunately what you suggest does not work for
us for the following reason.
The tests are supposed to run in multithreaded mode and every thread should
have each own http session. Which does not correspond to this: "...share the
session ID cookie
(JSESSIONID) among all your threads..."

I'll try to rephrase what we need. We have main test plan. It includes
set-up and tear-down test plans.
We run the main test plan, say, in N threads. HTTP session should be shared
between set-up, tear-down and main test plans. But at the same time a given
HTTP session should be confined in a single thread. So in our example we are
going to have N HTTP sessions for N threads.
Set-up, tear-down tests and main test are in the separate jmx files.

Thanks,
Ivan.

Posted by IvanIC <Iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrian!

Thanks a lot!!! I repeated the steps you did and everything works fine!
Now I can move further...

Best regards,
Ivan.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/11/2008, IvanIC <Iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Adrian,
>
>  yes, this is what exactly what we have:
>
> >if you have the set-up, main test and tear-down all in a single script then
>  it works
>  >fine, with multiple threads running? But if you extract the set-up and
>  >tear-down into separate, included scripts then you have this problem?
>

> Regarding this note below. We have removed Cookie
>  http://www.nabble.com/file/p20478940/jmeter_test_example.zip
>  jmeter_test_example.zip  Manager element from setup.jmx and teardown.jmx
>  test plans and in the main test plan we tried two cases:
>  a) put Cookie Manager element in "Thread Group".
>  b) put Cookie Manager element in the root node of test plan.
>  For the case a) we had next effect: in setup.jmx test plan for every HTTP
>  request a new session was created.
>  For the case b) we had another effect: in setup.jmx plan a single session
>  was created for all HTTP requests within a single thread in setup.jmx. But
>  this session was a different one from the session in main test plan.
>
>  Andrian, please let me know if you have more thoughts on this.
>
>  Attached is a simplified example which demonstrates the problem. The test
>  logs in to nabble.com forum and then goes to user's account settings page.
>  If you run the test, please set your account data in setup.jmx
>
>  JMeter version: 2.3.1

There was a problem with the Cookie Manager in 2.3.1:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/CookieManagerBugIn231

2.3.2 has lots of other fixes; I suggest you upgrade.

Posted by IvanIC <Iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrian,

Posted by IvanIC <Iv...@gmail.com>.
Sebb,

unfortunately upgrading JMeter up to 2.3.2 didn't resolve the problem.
I got exactly same results.

Could you please send me JMeter tests example that you did?

Also, if you have some time, maybe you will have a look at our sample which
reproduces the problem.
The test logs in to nabble.com forum and then goes to user's account
settings page. If you run the test, please set your account data in
setup.jmx
http://www.nabble.com/file/p20479566/jmeter_test_example.zip
jmeter_test_example.zip

Thanks,
Ivan.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/11/2008, IvanIC <Iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi sebb,
>

>  >I'm not sure I understand what the OP is trying to do,
>
> you may see the details in my reply to Adrian ("RE: Need an advice on how to
>  share https session between test plans  - IvanIC Nov 13, 2008; 01:22pm") . I
>  have also attached sample test plans which reproduce the problem in JMeter
>  2.3.1.
>
>  I have couple questions about the test you did.
>
> >In my test, the first sampler does not send any cookies, but the
>  >second sends the cookie that was returned in the first response.
>

> Does your first sampler contain several HTTP requests?

No, just one HTTP request.

>   As in our case a
>  script which is included (setup.jmx) contains several HTTP requests and
>  indeed in the 1st HTTP request it does not send any cookie like in your
>  example, but consequent requests in setup.jmx plan use cookies returned on
>  the 1st request. BUT the problem is that main.jmx test plan cannot access
>  those cookies obtained in setup.jmx.
>
>  If I get your example correctly, then the main test plan (second sampler in
>  your terms), can access cookies obtained in included test plan (first
>  sampler in your terms). And that's exactly what does not work for me.

Yes, it does work for me. I tested on 2.3.2 as I assumed you were
using the current version.

>  I used JMeter 2.3.1 and now I am going to try JMeter 2.3.2. Maybe this will
>  resolve the problem.

Hopefully.

Posted by IvanIC <Iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi sebb,

>I'm not sure I understand what the OP is trying to do,
you may see the details in my reply to Adrian ("RE: Need an advice on how to
share https session between test plans  - IvanIC Nov 13, 2008; 01:22pm") . I
have also attached sample test plans which reproduce the problem in JMeter
2.3.1.

I have couple questions about the test you did.
>In my test, the first sampler does not send any cookies, but the
>second sends the cookie that was returned in the first response.

Does your first sampler contain several HTTP requests? As in our case a