Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Oenus Tech Services <oe...@oenus.com> on 2006/07/14 15:46:02 UTC

bypass spam checking outgoing email

Hi there!

We have a server runing postfix + amavisd-new with spamassassin 3.1
(SuSE 10.1). We are very happy with the spam filtering capabilities of
spamassassin, but we would like to disable checking against sbl, xbl
lists (any kind of lists actually that check IPs) for all outgoing
email, since sometimes our users might be in a public place (i.e
internet cafe, public hotspot), and their IP might be in a CBL list,
thus preventing them to send emails with this configuration.

Is it possible to disable these rules only for outgoing email?

TIA

Ignacio

Re: bypass spam checking outgoing email

Posted by Faisal N Jawdat <fa...@faisal.com>.
On Jul 14, 2006, at 9:46 AM, Oenus Tech Services wrote:
> We have a server runing postfix + amavisd-new with spamassassin 3.1
> (SuSE 10.1). We are very happy with the spam filtering capabilities of
> spamassassin, but we would like to disable checking against sbl, xbl
> lists (any kind of lists actually that check IPs) for all outgoing
> email, since sometimes our users might be in a public place (i.e
> internet cafe, public hotspot), and their IP might be in a CBL list,
> thus preventing them to send emails with this configuration.

are your users sending via port 587, with auth?

-faisal

Re: bypass spam checking outgoing email

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> spamassassin, but we would like to disable checking against sbl, xbl
> lists (any kind of lists actually that check IPs) for all outgoing
> email, since sometimes our users might be in a public place (i.e

Interesting idea.

I can't recall if Amvis is one of the things that calls SA code directly, or
if it uses spamc/spamd.

I think you will end up having to set up two different SA configurations,
and how you do this will depend on how SA is being called.  I don't believe
that you would need separate installations, and you could probably share the
Bayes database if you are doing that already.

But you would either want to disable all net tests when you call SA for
outgoing mail, or you would want to specify an alternate local config
directory with a different version of local.cf in it.  Here you could zero
the scores for the net test you don't want.

I'd suggest leaving net tests enabled so you get the uribl-type tests done,
but use a separate configuration file to disable the net tests you don't
want for outgoing.

        Loren