Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk> on 2011/09/29 17:31:02 UTC

New example widget - learning guide

I'm currently working on a widget for University of Oxford and would
like to submit it to Wookie for inclusion as a sample widget.

The widget is a simple learning guide that asks a series of questions
and allows the user to build up a list of follow-up actions by
clicking on links in the question text. Each question links to further
questions and the actions are either a text note or a link to a
further information in the form of a note or an external web page. The
questions and notes are contained in a xml data file and the internal
notes are formatted using Creole wiki format.

Would this be of interest to the Wookie community?

We have permission from University of Oxford. I have already discussed
this with Ross Gardler who has also worked on the code and he
suggested I sent this email.

The code is still a work in progress and can be found in this public repository:
http://opendirective.indefero.net/p/ipo/source/tree/master/

Thanks

Steve Lee
Programme Leader (Open Accessibility)
OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

Re: New example widget - learning guide

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 29 September 2011 16:31, Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk> wrote:
> We have permission from University of Oxford. I have already discussed
> this with Ross Gardler who has also worked on the code and he
> suggested I sent this email.
>
> The code is still a work in progress and can be found in this public repository:
> http://opendirective.indefero.net/p/ipo/source/tree/master/

Obviously I'm +1 on this. The only reason I've not just contributed it
to sandbox is because it is Steve's code and I want him to go through
the correct contribution process rather than have me cut corners.

Assuming no objections to this contribution Steve will submit a zip of
the code via Jira in the near future.

Ross

Re: New example widget - learning guide

Posted by Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk>.
On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 29/09/2011 16:31, Steve Lee wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently working on a widget for University of Oxford and would
>> like to submit it to Wookie for inclusion as a sample widget.
>>
>> The widget is a simple learning guide that asks a series of questions
>> and allows the user to build up a list of follow-up actions by
>> clicking on links in the question text. Each question links to further
>> questions and the actions are either a text note or a link to a
>> further information in the form of a note or an external web page. The
>> questions and notes are contained in a xml data file and the internal
>> notes are formatted using Creole wiki format.
>>
>> Would this be of interest to the Wookie community?
>
> This looks really good.  So +1 from me.
>
> A minor thing - I'm working on windows and the zipped .wgt file (built from
> the github files) didn't automatically import into wookie, giving a
> BadManifestException on config.xml. I had to move the xml declarations to be
> the first line in each xml file, before the license text. (Eclipse was also
> moaning about it) Once i did that it imported okay.

That's very interesting as I considered that might be a problem but
found several examples with comments first so assumed the parsers
would strip comments first (like c does). Perhaps I should have read
the XML spec. :) Whatever, you hit a problem so I will change. Thanks

Steve

Re: New example widget - learning guide

Posted by Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk>.
I have now submitted the Walkthrough Widget to Jira for consideration.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE-253

Note that all licence references are *under* ASL and not *to* Apache
as previously discussed with Ross. This may need review. There is a
README.txt

Thanks

Steve

Posted by Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk>.

Posted by Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.

Posted by Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk>.
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 30 September 2011 09:24, Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 29 Sep 2011, at 16:31, Steve Lee wrote:

>> One thing I noticed was that the JQuery and JQueryMobile imports are done statically in the HTML rather than via <feature> - is that because of a version incompatibility issue?
>
> That was the tiny contribution I made to the code (removing the
> feature and adding static link). So I'll answer.

Thanks Ross

> If we use the feature from within Wookie then the application must be
> served by Wookie. If we use the static links then it works as a
> standalone webapp. Since the client isn't currently running Wookie and
> doesn't want to embed it in another application we saw no benefit to
> the client in tethering to Wookie just for this feature.

We could also use the CDN hosted files but going static removes
another dependency (and it's appears safe to redistribute)

> We also had a concern about the introduction of version
> incompatibilities that were not under our control. Steve has already
> raised a ticket about this. However, this was not something we
> experienced, just something we didn't want to expose our clients to.
> This can be resolved within Wookie though.

I did hit a version problem with a JQM function - details in the ticket

> Once the code is here we can optionally modify it to use features
> again, but until we use some other Wookie specific feature I see no
> benefit in it.

+1

Steve

Re: New example widget - learning guide

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk>.
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Scott Wilson
<sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2011, at 16:31, Steve Lee wrote:
>
>> I'm currently working on a widget for University of Oxford and would
>> like to submit it to Wookie for inclusion as a sample widget.
>>
>> The widget is a simple learning guide that asks a series of questions
>> and allows the user to build up a list of follow-up actions by
>> clicking on links in the question text. Each question links to further
>> questions and the actions are either a text note or a link to a
>> further information in the form of a note or an external web page. The
>> questions and notes are contained in a xml data file and the internal
>> notes are formatted using Creole wiki format.
>>
>> Would this be of interest to the Wookie community?
>
> Sounds like an interesting widget - if you submit it as a new patch in Jira we can review it and add it to the sandbox.

Great.  I will do so.

>> We have permission from University of Oxford. I have already discussed
>> this with Ross Gardler who has also worked on the code and he
>> suggested I sent this email.
>>
>> The code is still a work in progress and can be found in this public repository:
>> http://opendirective.indefero.net/p/ipo/source/tree/master/
>

> One thing I noticed was that the JQuery and JQueryMobile imports are done statically in the HTML rather than via <feature> - is that because of a version incompatibility issue?

Correct. Plus as mention in ticket # it adds an extra dependency on Wookie

Hmm https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE seems to be down.

Steve

RE: New example widget - learning guide

Posted by "Doherty, Anthony" <A....@ljmu.ac.uk>.
It does sound like an interesting project. Given what it does and the way it achieves it, it would make a good sample widget.

Anthony

Planning & Information

Anthony Doherty BA (Hons), MSc
Web Developer
Planning and Information

JMU Tower, 4th Floor, 24 Norton Street, Liverpool, L3 8PY
t: 01512315610  e: A.M.Doherty@ljmu.ac.uk
w: www.ljmu.ac.uk

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.