Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vladimer Shioshvili <vs...@qrc.com> on 2004/07/19 00:22:37 UTC

servlet context scope variables

I know this question is more of a servlet spec question, but I hope someone
has an answer..

if i have an object in the servlet context scope, if tomcat is shutdown
gracefully would the object get finalized?

thanks,
Vlad

________________
Vladimer Shioshvili

QRC Division of Macro International Inc.
7315 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400W
Bethesda, MD 20814

Phone: (301) 657 3077 ext. 155

Re: servlet context scope variables

Posted by Vladimer Shioshvili <vs...@qrc.com>.
Thanks Tim..

I realized that after I sent the question...

Vladimer

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 06:22:37PM -0400, Vladimer Shioshvili wrote:
: if i have an object in the servlet context scope, if tomcat is shutdown
: gracefully would the object get finalized?

Likely, no: finalization happens only on GC, which happens... well,
pretty much when the JVM wants it to.

The point of GC is to reclaim memory. I doubt this would occur on
shutdown, then, because at that point memory is freed by the JVM process
exit.

Is there something you require happen when a context is unloaded?  You
could use a ContextListener for that.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net