Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by YIXIAO SHEN <yi...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/27 18:17:16 UTC

BigCouch load balancer

Hi all,

Has anyone used BigCouch to build CouchDB clusters? I'm following BigCouch
readme to do so, and I'm stuck here:

 'Because every node can handle requests equally, you may want to put a load
balancer in front of the cluster and set up a round-robin strategy for
distributing incoming requests across all of your cluster's nodes'

I don't have any idea of how to put a load balancer, could anyone kindly
tell me how to do so? Thanks,

yixiao

Re: BigCouch load balancer

Posted by YIXIAO SHEN <yi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks

Re: BigCouch load balancer

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Re: BigCouch load balancer

Posted by CGS <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yixiao,

If you have a clustering software, just read the documentation (I am
sure you will see round-robin there). If you don't have any clustering
software, well, I don't know if BigCouch has any, but to create one it's
not something one can attach to a post (at least I wouldn't because I
have no information about your cluster). You can have an idea of what is
round-robin from the wikipedia for example
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin at computing and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_scheduling). Mainly it's about
dividing your flux of incoming data into pieces and distributing them in
a circular way to all the nodes (just to describe the strategy in simple

Re: BigCouch load balancer

Posted by Konstantin Cherkasov <co...@imarto.net>.
Hi!

> I don't have any idea of how to put a load balancer, could anyone kindly
> tell me how to do so?

I would use nginx. It's extremely simple and extremely fast.
http://wiki.nginx.org/LoadBalanceExample

Plus you'll get etag-based caching, serving static files and tons of magic tools :-)

--
 Konstantin Cherkasov

Re: BigCouch load balancer

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM, YIXIAO SHEN <yi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone used BigCouch to build CouchDB clusters? I'm following BigCouch
> readme to do so, and I'm stuck here:
>
>  'Because every node can handle requests equally, you may want to put a load
> balancer in front of the cluster and set up a round-robin strategy for
> distributing incoming requests across all of your cluster's nodes'
>
> I don't have any idea of how to put a load balancer, could anyone kindly
> tell me how to do so? Thanks,
>
> yixiao

If you're already using Rackspace services then I would recommend
their solutions. Especially if you're using their cloud/vm servers:
the load balancer option is pretty slick.

Cheers,

--
Sam Bisbee