Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Steve Hupert <sm...@chartwellit.com> on 2002/04/02 01:20:09 UTC

Struts 1.1b-1 struts-config.xml parsing issues.

I am sure I am missing something in the setup/configuration of beta release.
I am having problems getting the application to start without getting a null
pointer exception during the parsing of struts-config.xml.  I was originally
attempting to get this to work using Websphere 4.0.  However, after
reviewing similar problems being reported on the mailing list I decided to
attempt to try set things up using Tomcat 4.0.3.  Here what I have done so
far:

1) I have JAVA_HOME pointing to the Java SDK. (version 1.3 from IBM)

2) I have installed Tomcat 4.0.3 on my computer. (Windows 2000 Professional)

3) I have verified the Tomcat install is working by running some of the JSP
Examples.

4) I downloaded the library version of struts 1.1-b1 and copied
struts-documentation.war and struts-blank.war to the webapps directory.

5) I restarted Tomcat and observed errors parsing strtus-config.xml for the
struts-blank project.

6) I copied xerces.jar from tomcat/common/lib to WEB-INF/lib directory for
struts-blank.

7) I restarted Tomcat and get the following error when parsing reaches the
action section of struts-config.xml for the struts-blank project:

startElement(,action,action) New
match='struts-config/action-mappings/action'
Begin event threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.struts.config.ActionMappingFactory.createObject(ConfigRuleSet.jav
a:335)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.FactoryCreateRule.begin(FactoryCreateRule.java:1
72)
.
.
.
[ERROR] ActionServlet - -Parsing error processing resource path
/WEB-INF/struts-
config.xml <java.lang.NullPointerException>

Struts-documenation works fine.

Please let me know if more information from the console would help to
understand this problem.

I have seen some postings about moving the dtd files out struts.jar to help
resolve this type of an issue, does anyone think this is the case in the
configuration described above?

I am also intrested to know who has used the binary distribution of struts
1.1b1 in a Tomcat 4.0.3 environment.  Did you have similar problems?  What
XML parser are you using?  I have tried to place other XML parsers in the
lib directory and receive similar errors.

Finally, I have been using struts 1.0.2 for a while, but I am new to posting
questions to the mailing list (since the documentation and searching the
mailing lists always answered my questions for 1.0.2).  If you have any
recommendations on how I could improve this posting please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide,
Steve

RE: Where is the source for ActionMappingFactory?

Posted by Steve Hupert <sm...@chartwellit.com>.
Just to make sure it is clear, I am looking for the
ActionMappingFactory.java in jakarta-struts-1.1-b1-src.zip.

I am trying to debug the problem described below and was wondering where the
source for org.apache.struts.config.ActionMappingFactory could be found.  I
seem to be only able to find a .class file.

[...]

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Where is the source for ActionMappingFactory?

Posted by Steve Hupert <sm...@chartwellit.com>.