Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by abrar hazarika <ab...@yahoo.co.in> on 2002/07/13 15:50:35 UTC

httpd failed (weird pid file)

Hi,

This is my first post to this group.
Apache 1.3.19-5 was running fine on RH7.1 machine. But
from yesterday it failed to start. There is no error
on the error_log file. In the /var/run it shows as
httpd.mm.xxxx.sem where xxxx=number which i believe is
the pid.
Searching through google i found a bit which says 'mm'
relates to shared memory. But didn't help me much.

Can anyone please help me what is wrong?
Thanks.

Re: httpd failed (weird pid file)

Posted by Mark Mentovai <ma...@mentovai.com>.
Abrar Hazarika wrote:
> i will delete the mm...sem file everytime i shutdown
> the server and one more thing, if the httpd fails to
> start where does it write error messages (logs) 'cos
> previously i faced this a major problem. though the
> server started without me making any changes, except
> log level to debug, i want to be prepared for next
> time.

If it had reached the point in the startup where the error log was available,
you'll find messages in there.  Errors that occur before that point go to
stderr.

Mark

Re: httpd failed (weird pid file)

Posted by abrar hazarika <ab...@yahoo.co.in>.
thanks a lot Mark,

i will delete the mm...sem file everytime i shutdown
the server and one more thing, if the httpd fails to
start where does it write error messages (logs) 'cos
previously i faced this a major problem. though the
server started without me making any changes, except
log level to debug, i want to be prepared for next
time.

abrar

Posted by Mark Mentovai <ma...@mentovai.com>.

Posted by abrar hazarika <ab...@yahoo.co.in>.
Thanks Mark,

The apache server started ok with pid 7150 but it also
created httpd.mm.7149.sem in /var/run. With loglevel
'debug' it gave the following in error_log. I think
running this way will again cause the server to fail.
Though it is not a production server but is only for
inhouse s/w development with php and mysql, it is
still worrying me.

Can you guide me more?

And how do i start httpd with -X option. i tried from
/etc/rc.d/init.d but it does not take any option only
start,restart etc.

Thanks again

[Mon Jul 15 11:21:46 2002] [info] created shared
memory segment #393218
[Mon Jul 15 11:21:46 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.19
(Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6
DAV/1.0.2 PHP/4.2.1 mod_perl/1.24_01 configured --
resuming normal operations
[Mon Jul 15 11:21:46 2002] [notice] suEXEC mechanism
enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
[Mon Jul 15 11:21:46 2002] [info] Server built: Mar 29
2001 12:52:37

Posted by Mark Mentovai <ma...@mentovai.com>.