Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/08 15:42:07 UTC

Handover timeline

Hello,

Now that NetBeans is officially incubating, could somebody tell me if there
is some sort of timeline or deadline regarding the code grant, trademarks
and netbeans.org handover?

Basically, will the handover happen at the end of incubation or during?

--emi

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 08/10/16 � 20:03, John McDonnell a �crit :
> For the ICLA, how much of a contributor do you need to be?
>
> Lets say I want to start off helping move the tutorials, or existing
> content into an apache wiki/confluence page etc, do I need to sign a
> ICLA?
>
> Or is it if I start providing wide ranging code changes outside of
> patches/PR's attached to an issue?
Clear and simple : no ICLA, no committership.

You can still push PR, or patches.

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...the code grant must happen sooner rather than later in the
> incubation....

Yes, until that happens we can only work on infrastructure and project
setup - which is also useful to have a smooth transition.

-Bertrand

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 9:09 PM, John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I was just a little confused on who/under what circumstances I needed to sign an ICLA...

As Emmanuel says the iCLA is required to become an Apache committer -
and the PPMC also must elect people to become committers, you don't
become one just by sending the iCLA.

However, filing an iCLA is also good for people who contribute code or
docs regularly, even before they become committers. The PPMC might ask
someone to file one if they do "big" contributions, or it's fine to
submit one pro-actively if you think you'll do that.

-Bertrand

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 08/10/16 � 21:19, Geertjan Wielenga a �crit :
> Indeed Emilian. The code needs to be officially granted by Oracle -- right
> now the Git experiments being done are only experiments. The code needs to
> be officially granted to ASF and that will certainly be done and is
> absolutely a requirement. Oracle has already agreed to it otherwise we
> wouldn't have started this process. But indeed the signing and handing over
> of the actual agreement must still be done and is a priority.

As a reminder, nobody will be able to commit any code if it's not
present at the ASF :-) So feel free to submit code at Oracle, until
Oracle brings the code in due form to The ASF : you'll then be covered
fully, from a legal standpoint.

This is really a switch : before the grant, it's Oracle, after the
grant, we move the code to the ASF, and it's fully the ASF.

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Indeed Emilian. The code needs to be officially granted by Oracle -- right
now the Git experiments being done are only experiments. The code needs to
be officially granted to ASF and that will certainly be done and is
absolutely a requirement. Oracle has already agreed to it otherwise we
wouldn't have started this process. But indeed the signing and handing over
of the actual agreement must still be done and is a priority.

Gj

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys,

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
For the ICLA, how much of a contributor do you need to be?

Lets say I want to start off helping move the tutorials, or existing
content into an apache wiki/confluence page etc, do I need to sign a
ICLA?

Or is it if I start providing wide ranging code changes outside of
patches/PR's attached to an issue?

John

--
John

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 08/10/16 � 19:12, Geertjan Wielenga a �crit :

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Handover timeline

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.