Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Chris Angelo Yu Averia <ch...@ureach.com> on 2005/04/28 15:39:39 UTC

Xerces with Axis1.2RC3

Hello,

I am just new to Axis.  Hope you can help out with my concern.
I am using JDK 1.4, Tomcat 5.0 and Axis 1.2RC3.

As stated in the installation guide, Axis prefers to use Xerces
as its XML parser.  So no problem here, since I am using Tomcat,
Xerces is already included in the
"<CATALINA_HOME>/common/endorsed" directory.  I am just quite
puzzled with how the Xerces XML Parser
"org.apache.xerces.jaxp.*" gets picked up by the classloader.

If I leave XercesImpl.jar in the
"<CATALINA_HOME>/common/endorsed" directory, as
expected, it is loaded by the bootstrap.  However, if I move
XercesImpl.jar to
"WEB-INF/lib" directory, it also gets picked up the bootstrap
class loader.  I always thought that placing a JAR file in the
"WEB-INF/lib"
(aside from the javax packages) will get picked up by the
WebAppClassLoader...

But when I tried to use an XML parser from IBM and put it in
WEB-INF/lib directory, it gets correctly picked up by the
WebAppClassLoader.

So my question is why does the Xerces Parser
"org.apache.xerces.jaxp.*", when moved to WEB-INF/lib, gets
picked up by the bootstap classloader instead of the
WebAppClassLoader?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

Re: Xerces with Axis1.2RC3

Posted by Fernando Nasser <fn...@redhat.com>.
Are you sure it is the Xerces-j2 jar that comes with Tomcat that is
being picked or the broken xerces-j-based implementation that comes with
the JDK?

Regards,
Fernando

--