Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com> on 2007/04/24 18:25:08 UTC

Tutorial and build problems

Having some trouble with generating the jetexpress portal as outlined in
the tutorial. I've unzipped the resources.zip from
here:http://www.bluesunrise.com/training/ to a
JetspeedTraining/resources directory as well as the jetexpress.zip to
the JetspeedTraining directory.

When I do the mvn archetype: create, the build appears to be working up
to the initialization of the velocimacro It then fails as follows:

[INFO] [archetype:create]
[INFO] Defaulting package to group ID: org.apache.portals.tutorial
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/portal-
archetype/2.1-dev/portal-archetype-2.1-dev.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error creating from archetype

Embedded error: Archetype does not exist: Unable to download the
artifact from a
ny repository

Then, install it using the command:
    mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2
-DartifactI
d=portal-archetype \
        -Dversion=2.1-dev -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

  org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2:portal-archetype:jar:2.1-dev

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

I've tried navigating with a browser to find the .jar file from
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 but under
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/ there is no
portal-archetype directory.

Can anyone advise me on where I can find the portal-archetype-2.1-dev.jar?

Thanks,
David

--
David Dyer
Artifact Software Inc.

Re: Tutorial and build problems

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Hi Roozbeh,

  Yes, I think the Ant Tutorial will be much easier.
Will post an email on this list as soon as it is available

On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Roozbeh Zabihollahi wrote:

> Dear David,
> Sorry if it is off-topic question.
>
> Could you please let me know if there is any
> documentation about this new release(like tutorials
> available for 2.1)? I thought it is new version of
> jetspeed which uses ant for building, if it is
> correct, is it suitable for such a newby like me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> * Roozbeh
>
> --- David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 26, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Nikko Gaerlan wrote:
>>

>>> hi david,
>>>

> http://www.bluesunrise.com/tutorials/ant/jetexpress.zip
>>> i cant get this link.. file is missing?
>>>
>>> i'll would like to try jetspeed2 ant build..
>>>
>>> thanks.. ^^
>>>
>>> -- nikko
>>
>> Sorry, typo
>>
>> That should be
>>
>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/training/ant/

>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> jetspeed-user-help@portals.apache.org
>>

> Roozbeh Zabihollahi
> CTO - iPronto Systems
> Mobile: +98 912 323 3970
> http://www.ipronto.net

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office] +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

Re: Tutorial and build problems

Posted by Roozbeh Zabihollahi <ya...@yahoo.com>.
Dear David,

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Nikko Gaerlan <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Apr 25, 2007, at 5:05 AM, David Dyer wrote:

> Thanks for the comments David.
> I tried downloading the Ant build package from the link you
> provided but I'm getting a 404.

So you followed the steps below and the result was a 404 error
What is the URL you typed in?
Send your build.properties

Re: Tutorial and build problems

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks again David, removing that comment did the trick.

Regards,
David

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: Add links to other portlets (LoginPortlet)

Posted by Henock Gashaw <he...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the quick response.

I realize that they are different webapps and hence
I've tried different urls:
/jetspeed/login
/jetspeed/portal/login and even
/jetspeed/portal/login.psml, to no avail.

They all return the same variation of the message: The
requested resource (/jpetstore/jetspeed/login) is not
available.

Thanks,

henock

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Henock Gashaw <he...@yahoo.com>.

--- David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> [...]
>                            >express-demo.war
>                            >jetspeed-portlets.war*
>

> The express-demo directory is, I believe, created by
> this line in the
> build.xml: /<copy todir="../express-demo/"
> overwrite="true">/ which puts
> the express-demo directory at least one level too
> high as the
> create.installer build target never looks there.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Dyer
>
> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > Sounds like the PAs are not being deployed to the
> right place.
> > Could you send to this list:
> >
> > 1. your build.properties
> > 2. directory listing of
> /JetspeedTraining/workspace/jetexpress/webapps
> > 3. directory listing of
> /JetspeedTraining/servers/webapps
> >
> > or anything else you think is relevant
> >
> > On Apr 26, 2007, at 4:47 PM, David Dyer wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks David. I'm moving forward now. I've
> actually managed to  build
> >> the jetexpress portal.
> >>
> >> On the first build/deployment all the portlets
> except the login
> >> contain error messages similar to this:
> >>
> >> "Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for
> express-
> >> demo::WelcomeJetExpressAccess Denied.Failed to
> retrieve Portlet
> >> Definition for
> express-demo::WelcomeJetExpressFailed to retrieve
> >> Portlet Definition for
> express-demo::WelcomeJetExpressFailed to
> >> retrieve Portlet Definition for express-
> >> demo::WelcomeJetExpressFailed to retrieve Portlet
> Definition for
> >> express-demo::WelcomeJetExpressFailed to retrieve
> Portlet  Definition
> >> for express-demo::WelcomeJetExpress"
> >>
> >> So, I assume that this is because they haven't
> been deployed yet.
> >>
> >> I shut down tomcat, cd'd to
> /Jetspeed/workspace/jetexpress and ran
> >> the copy-portlet-resources, copy-page-resources,
> copy-decoration-
> >> resources Ant targets. The copy-portlet-resources
> creates a
> >> subdirectory under workspace  called
> "express-demo" at the same
> >> level as "jetexpress". However none of the
> targets in the
> >> create.install actually pick up it's contents.
> Should the location
> >> of express-demo in the workspace be somewhere
> inside "jetexpress"?
> >> Do we need to add a target to the build file?
> >>
> >> I've also tried the delta and deploy.webapps
> targets and then
> >> rebuilding the installer doing the java -jar and
> restarting tomcat.
> >>
> >> Any advice?
> >>
> >> David

> the link you

> ".m2" directory

http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2/01/first-steps.html

> copy resources into

<localRepository>/JetspeedTraining/maven/repository</

=== message truncated ===

Re: Tutorial and build problems

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks for all the help so far David. And apologies in advance for the
length of this message.

build.properties:

# general properties
portal.name = jetexpress

# installation properties
installer.src.jar = /Jetspeed/installers/jetspeed-2.2-dev-installer.jar
installer.target = ./target
installer.dst.jar = jetexpress-installer.jar

# development deployment properties
app.server.home = /Jetspeed/server

I'm not using a directory structure including JetspeedTraining.
Everything is in a directory call Jetspeed on C:
Directory Structure is as follows:
*C:\Jetspeed*
       >installers
            >jetspeed-2.2-dev-installer.jar
       >resources
             >applications
                   >express-demo
                         >src
                         >WebContent
                         >.DS_Store
             >decorations
             >pages
             >seed-data
      * >server*
             >bin
             >common
             >conf
             >database
             >logs
             >server
             >shared
             >temp
           *  >webapps
                   >j2-admin
                   >jetexpress
                   >jetspeed-portlets
                   >ROOT
                   >j2-admin.war
                   >jetspeed-portlets.war                 *
             >work
      * >workspace           * *
*           /  >express-demo
                   >src
                   >WebContent
/             >jetexpress
                   *>build.xml*
                   >build.properties
                   >.DS_Store
                   >dist
                   >src
                   >target
                  * >webapps

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Hi David,

> [...]

>>> to  show how to "customize" your portal
>>>
>>> Run the three goals to copy in the portal resources:
>>>
>>> <!-- Tutorial Resources -->
>>>     <target name='copy-portlet-resources'>
>>>     <target name='copy-page-resources'>
>>>     <target name='copy-decoration-resources'>
>>>
>>> (note where the resources dir is expected under /Jetspeed/
>>> resources  -- that should probably be configurable...)
>>>
>>> you can then build your installer again and re-install
>>>
>>> note that there are dev goals for deploying to the running
>>> portal  without re-installing of course
>>> the tutorial would also show how to deploy portlet applications
>>> live  with eclipse...
>>>

>>> I know this isn't the greatest docs, but I prefer to write a
>>> good  tutorial then a one-off like this
>>>
>>> hope that helps and sorry you had such a bad maven-2 experience

>>> For additional commands, e-mail: jetspeed-user-

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office] +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

Re: Tutorial and build problems

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:
[...]

I've checked the pom.xml in C:\JetspeedTraining\workspace\jetexpress,
where I found this:
<repositories>
        <repository>
            <id>com.bluesunrise.m2</id>
            <name>Maven2 BlueSunrise</name>
            <url>http://www.bluesunrise.com/maven2</url>
        </repository>
        <repository>
            <id>central</id>
            <name>Maven Repository Switchboard</name>
            <url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>
        </repository>
        <repository>
            <id>com.bluesunrise.m1</id>
            <name>Maven1 BlueSunrise</name>
            <url>http://www.bluesunrise.com/maven</url>
            <layout>legacy</layout>
        </repository>
        <repository>
            <id>org.codehaus</id>
            <name>Maven1 Codehaus</name>
            <url>http://dist.codehaus.org</url>
            <layout>legacy</layout>
        </repository>
        <repository>
            <id>org.apache</id>
            <name>Maven1 Apache</name>
            <url>http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2</url>
            <layout>legacy</layout>
        </repository>
    </repositories>
    <pluginRepositories>
        <pluginRepository>
            <id>com.bluesunrise.m2</id>
            <name>Maven2 BlueSunrise</name>
            <url>http://www.bluesunrise.com/maven2</url>
        </pluginRepository>
        <pluginRepository>
            <id>central</id>
            <name>Maven Repository Switchboard</name>
            <url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>
        </pluginRepository>
    </pluginRepositories>

I've tried altering the url values for the central repository but the
build came back with the same error, including the url for
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/portals/
jetspeed-2/jetspeed-2/2.1-dev/jetspeed-2-2.1-dev.pom

David

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Apr 24, 2007, at 9:57 PM, David Dyer wrote:

> Update, I've managed to find the required .jar file at http://
> www.bluesunrise.com/maven2/org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/portal-
> archetype/2.1-dev/portal-archetype-2.1-dev.jar and do the install.
> the mvn archetype:create appears to have worked after that.
>
> So, on to the next problem...
>
> the mvn -P tomcat,min returns a fatal error as follows:
>
> Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/portals/
> jetspeed-2/jetspeed-2/2.1-dev/jetspeed-2-2.1-dev.pom
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] FATAL ERROR
> [INFO]
>

> Project ID: null:import:pom:null
>
> Reason: Cannot find parent:
> org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2:jetspeed-2 for project
> : null:import:pom:null
>

> A quick check of the URL for the jetspeed-2-2.1-dev.pom file
> reveals that it doesn't live there no more (Not Found)
>
> swapping out http://repo1.maven.org for http://www.bluesunrise.com
> returns what looks like the correct file.
>
> So, the question is, who tells Maven to download from
> repo1.maven.org and can I reconfigure to default to http://
> www.bluesunrise.com?

Have you copied in the .setttings.xml to your ".m2" directory as
described here:

http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2/01/first-steps.html

It will correctly setup the remote repos and copy resources into here

    <localRepository>/JetspeedTraining/maven/repository</
localRepository>

 From that point on, its hit or miss with downloading the files, keep
trying if it fails

Posted by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com>.
Update, I've managed to find the required .jar file at
http://www.bluesunrise.com/maven2/org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/portal-archetype/2.1-dev/portal-archetype-2.1-dev.jar
and do the install. the mvn archetype:create appears to have worked
after that.

So, on to the next problem...

the mvn -P tomcat,min returns a fatal error as follows:

Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/portals/jetspeed-2/jetspeed-2/2.1-dev/jetspeed-2-2.1-dev.pom
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR