Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Johan Stuyts <j....@zybber.nl> on 2009/07/14 14:11:06 UTC

Scaling from 1 to x (was: one server or more servers?)

> 1. If you only have 3 production servers, Cassandra may not do much for
> you.
> You will probably only care if you have lots more servers. 3 servers is a
> reasonable minimum for a test / dev environment.

I suspect I will use 1 Cassandra-server when I start deploying my
application. I won't have load balancing and failover in this case, but I
can live with that. I want to prevent having to change my application code
when the need arises to scale to x servers.

Is it unwise to use Cassandra in production if you use less than n
servers? In other words: is it better to use another solution for <n
servers and switch to Cassandra once n is reached?

Regards,

Johan Stuyts