Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by S G <sg...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/16 23:40:47 UTC

Is Banana deprecated?

Hello,

I still see releases happening on it:
https://github.com/lucidworks/banana/pull/355

So it is something recommended to be used for production?

Regards,
SG

Re: Is Banana deprecated?

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
Banana is a fork of a very old Kibana version (Kibana 3.x) developed by Lucidworks. It’s technically out of scope for this list, as the Solr community has nothing to do with maintaining it.

(Full disclosure, I work at Lucidworks. However, I’m on a different team and have no idea about Banana’s development cycle/roadmap.)

Personally, I think it’s fine for some use cases, but many users have had problems with queries bogging down their Solr instances and causing overall slowness. This is because behind every panel is a Solr query, so to draw every panel a new query is issued. If you have a complex dashboard with even semi-complex queries it adds load, possibly a lot of load. It might be fine for you, though, depending on what you use it for and how much data you are working with.

I will say there are more up-to-date Solr integrations actively maintained by the Solr community that may satisfy similar needs:

If you’re looking for something like log analytics, take a look at using streaming expressions for this: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/visual-guide/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/logs.adoc. This approach can be adapted for whatever kind of data you have and want to visualize.

If you want to track metrics, integrating with something like Prometheus & Grafana might be better: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/monitoring-solr-with-prometheus-and-grafana.html.

Hope it helps -
Cassandra