Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Adams <ja...@ucar.edu> on 2001/11/14 19:55:22 UTC

Why am I getting a Javascript file instead of my servlet ?

I have a page (JSP) which contains a form with a servlet as the action
of the form.  However whenever I submit the form I am getting a Not
Found 404 error telling me that a Javascript file which is used for
Javascript on the page is not found.  I am perplexed as to why this is
happening, especially since the Javascript is working as it should.  I
should instead be forwarded to the servlet which will handle the form
parameters.  Can anyone suggest ways to find out what is going wrong
?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

-James

Re: Why am I getting a Javascript file instead of my servlet ?

Posted by "Corey A. Johnson" <cj...@cniweb.net>.
Sounds like you may have a:

<script language="JavaScript" src="filename.js">

statement in your returned HTML code.. and the .js file can not be
found...

hope that helps.

Cj

James Adams wrote:

> I have a page (JSP) which contains a form with a servlet as the action
> of the form.  However whenever I submit the form I am getting a Not
> Found 404 error telling me that a Javascript file which is used for
> Javascript on the page is not found.  I am perplexed as to why this is
> happening, especially since the Javascript is working as it should.  I
> should instead be forwarded to the servlet which will handle the form
> parameters.  Can anyone suggest ways to find out what is going wrong
> ?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
>
> -James

Corey A. Johnson
Creative Network Innovations
http://www.cniweb.net/
1-800-CNi-5547 ** 1-321-259-1984

RE: Why am I getting a Javascript file instead of my servlet ?

Posted by Rajah Kalipatnapu <ra...@soundpipe.com>.
>From my experience you might be facing this problem with Netscape browser.
If you try the same with explorer you may not face this problem.

This is only one possibility I know. There may be some other reasons which
I cannot guess.

Ok, lets c if you can access your page through IE( thought IE says that
there are errors in page)
and not through Netscape, that means in the result page you have a wrong
path to your javascript file.

Its always possible when you use a relative path in your servlet or jsp
output page
and use servlet to get that page.

I would rather use
<%=request.getContextPath()%>/javascriptDirectory/myjsfile.js

instead of some thing like   ../../javascriptDirectory/myjsfile.js

hope this helps,
Raj