Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim Johnson <ti...@johnsons-web.com> on 2010/08/08 03:06:56 UTC

[users@httpd] cgi applications are *now* generating errors

I'm using apache2 on ubuntu 10.04.
Some CGI applications on my own desktop are no long working.
The error message stored in the logfile will be something like this:
"""
(2)No such file or directory: Could not open password file:
/usr/local/apache/passwords
File does not exist: /home/http/error_pages
"""

This started happening after I enabled mode_rewrite for apache.
some CGI applications with the same permissions and ownership
as those generating errors are working.
It should also be noted that the ownership and permissions of
the directories of the files that work are the same as that of
the directories of the files that *do not* workd.

Most likely this is the result of the mode_rewrite mods.
Please advise.
thanks
tim
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com

Re: [users@httpd] cgi applications are *now* generating errors

Posted by Tim Johnson <ti...@johnsons-web.com>.
* Tim Johnson <ti...@johnsons-web.com> [100807 17:10]:
> I'm using apache2 on ubuntu 10.04.
> Some CGI applications on my own desktop are no long working.
> The error message stored in the logfile will be something like this:
> """
> (2)No such file or directory: Could not open password file:
> /usr/local/apache/passwords
> File does not exist: /home/http/error_pages
> """
>
> This started happening after I enabled mode_rewrite for apache.
> some CGI applications with the same permissions and ownership
> as those generating errors are working.
> It should also be noted that the ownership and permissions of
> the directories of the files that work are the same as that of
> the directories of the files that *do not* workd.
>
> Most likely this is the result of the mode_rewrite mods.
> Please advise.
  Upon reflection, the best advice is to not leave .htaccess
  file lying about which could then be activated by the
  AllowOverride directions <blush>
  cheers