Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by da...@apache.org on 2009/09/29 18:04:20 UTC

Trying to commit parent pom structure

Hi all,

I put together a structure of parent pom.xml files for the Aries project.
They're based on the parent poms from Geronimo, but I made them smaller.
This is really a starting point, so if anyone doesn't agree with the content
they can always be changed.

However, I don't seem to have commit access yet. Any idea when this is going
to be available?

Thanks,

David

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wed September 30 2009 8:57:42 am David Bosschaert wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I wasn't aware that there was an alternative available at Apache.

There are actually 4 options available at Apache.   See:

http://ci.apache.org/

Most builds that have been setup lately have been in Hudson.  That's good and
bad.   The consistency is good, but build queues can get rather large.  I'd
like to see more machines added to Hudson.   However, "Buildbot" seems to be
an infrastructure "pet project" thing and I think they are planning to add
machines there first.   Not really sure why considering this is maybe a dozen
builds there.   Hudson EASILY has the most builds it's managing.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Sep 30, 2009, at 8:05 AM, Jay D. McHugh wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I don't see any particular advantages/disadvantages to any of the
> options if you are using a mail client that supports filters.
>
> But, for the sake of keeping list archives clean - I would lean toward
> using the commit@ list.  Anyone who is a committer should be
> subscribed
> and most casual (non-dev) users will not be.

+1

> But it might make sense to put this subject onto its own discuss/vote
> threads rather than continuing to hijack this one.

+1

Regards,
Alan

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> personally think #3 is a good compromise - keeping the dev list clean and
> sending the build messages in relative order with the commit messages.

Agreed. However, there is currently a problem with Hudson sending
emails to most projects commit lists and the spam filter for
commits@*.a.o current filter on apache.org senders, while Hudson sends
from hudson.zones.apache.org. So, if we go for this option right now,
we either has to opt for a different spam filtering option or do the
work to get the current filter work with Hudson.

/niklas

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Joe

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <jp...@gmail.com>.
2009/10/1 Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>:

> On Sep 30, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>

>>> 2) dev@    Some projects use this as all developers should know if builds
>>> are
>>> failing.   Then again, some people think it pollutes/dilutes the value of
>>> the
>>> dev list.
>>
>> -1 not good for encouraging non-committers to subscribe to aries-dev
>
> I'm not sure I entirely understand your meaning. So, just to clarify --
> anyone is welcome and encouraged to subscribe to (and participate with the
> community on) aries-dev@ mailing list.

Sorry if there was confusion. I wasn't keen on sending a slew of build
messages to aries-dev@i.a.o because for some this will hide the
interesting email. But it's only a marginal -1 since if the subscriber
is really interested then they'll set up a filter for Aries bacn.

In any case I prefer notifications@

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 30, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

>> 2) dev@    Some projects use this as all developers should know if
>> builds are
>> failing.   Then again, some people think it pollutes/dilutes the
>> value of the
>> dev list.
>
> -1 not good for encouraging non-committers to subscribe to aries-dev

I'm not sure I entirely understand your meaning. So, just to clarify
-- anyone is welcome and encouraged to subscribe to (and participate
with the community on) aries-dev@ mailing list.

--kevan

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
One more issue..

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
2009/9/30 Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>:

> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/

Nice that the tabs are alphabetically organised - I won't have to page
right to get to Aries :-)

> In anycase, I'll setup a build.

Thanks!

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
2009/9/30 David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I wasn't aware that there was an alternative available at Apache. I've used

And I wasn't aware Hudson was available ... looks nice!

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeremy,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
I'm curious about Hudson. I've not used it before. What are the
advantages over continuum, which admittedly is something I'm more used
to. There is an instance of continuum at vmbuild.apache.org which we
could potentially use. I just looked at hudson.dev.java.net ... is
there an instance of it running in the apache.org domain or are you
suggesting we build at java.net?

Jeremy

2009/9/30 David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just committed the parent pom structure and updated the Blueprint
> component to use it.
> You can now run 'mvn install' from the Aries trunk to build everything
> (which currently is just blueprint :).
>
> I guess this would be enough to get a Hudson build going... Anyone with the
> right credentials there fancy setting it up?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by da...@apache.org.
Hi Alan,

2009/9/30 Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>

>  For those of us who are not familiar w/ the complex POM parent hierarchy,
> can you explain the advantages that the various parent POMs bring?

Sure, I can try. And again this isn't set in stone or anything. The main
reason I went for this structure is that I noticed that the Geronimo project
was using it and the Blueprint component was depending on a Geronimo parent
pom. So I used that as the starting point.

The following poms are in play:

/pom.xml
This isn't really a 'parent' pom but rather a root pom that includes all the
submodules, including the submodule that defines the parent poms. This one
is nice and short and allows a full build from the top level directory.

/parent/pom.xml
Top level parent pom (it's parent is the apache parent pom). It defines
general things about the project such as the mailing lists, SVN locations,
various URLs and so on.
It currently just includes the default-parent module but it might be the
right level in the future to include other global things such as an Aries
Maven plugin if we ever need one.

/parent/default-parent/pom.xml
This is a pom that generally concerns around compilation, resource
processing etc. It contains shared settings for that. It includes just the
java5-parent module, but I can imagine that we might need specific settings
for other runtimes in the future.

/parent/default-parent/java5-parent/pom.xml
This pom contains specific settings that apply to Java 5. This is the pom
that actual components should declare as their parent pom. The Blueprint
component does this at the moment. If there are going to be components that
depend on other Java versions, there will be a need to create a sibling
parent pom to this one.

Hope this explains things a bit.

Best regards,

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 29, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I'll try to set that up later tonight or tomorrow morning, unless
> someone beats me ...

I should have a bit of time to get started on this...

Reminder that there are 20 committers that will need to have accounts
created. Since this can take a bit of time (hopefully will be quick,
but it can be a week or more), I would expect that the existing
committers will be working especially hard to communicate changes,
address any concerns raised, help with applying patches, etc during
this startup period.

--kevan

Re: Trying to commit parent pom structure

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet