Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by amit <am...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/08 09:50:58 UTC

edismax returns very less matches than regular

I have a simple system. I put the title of webpages into the "name" field and
content of the web pages into the "Description" field.
I want to search both fields and give the name a little more boost.
A search on name field or description field returns records cloase to
hundreds.

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=name:%28coldfusion^2%20cache^1%29&fq=author:[*%20TO%20*]%20AND%20-author:chinmoyp&start=0&rows=10&fl=author,score,%20id

But search on both fields using boost just gives 5 matches.

http://localhost:8983/solr/mindfire/?q=%28%20coldfusion^2%20cache^1%29*&defType=edismax&qf=name^1.5%20description^1.0*&fq=author:[*%20TO%20*]%20AND%20-author:chinmoyp&start=0&rows=10&fl=author,score,%20id

I am wondering what is wrong, because there are valid results returned in
1st query which is ignored by edismax. I am on solr3.6

Re: edismax returns very less matches than regular

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Adding &debugQuery=true is your friend. I suspect that you'll find
your first query is actually searching
name:coldfusion OR defaultsearchfield:cache and you _think_ it's
searching for both coldfusion and cache in the name field....

Best
Erick