Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by John Hui <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/13 23:33:34 UTC

namenode crash - recovery model?

Hi All,

I am new to Hadoop.  I have been reading and playing around with Hadoop, it
seems like the namenode is a single point of failure.  I read about the
backup node which is basically a copy of the live namenode.

So if the namenode were to crash, what is some of the recovery model that
people have in place.  Is there a way to configure hadoop to flip the the
backup node and use that as the primary name node if the primary namenode
goes down..

Thanks in advance,

John

Re: namenode crash - recovery model?

Posted by Jinsong Hu <ji...@hotmail.com>.
use linux heartbeat project and DRBD to build a backup namenode.

Jimmy

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey John,

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1064 for the JIRA where high
availability strategies for the NameNode are discussed.

Thanks,
Jeff