Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/04 17:35:17 UTC

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Hi

The scalate team has been so kind to cut releases that support Scala
2.9 and 2.10.
So the last hurdle for Camel is to have an OSGi bundle of Scala 2.10
which is in the works.

When all that is released. We could reconsider upgrading camel-scala
to 2.10 as we have all the needed pieces now.
Also considering that if we do it before a Camel 2.11 release then
thats easier. As we can't upgrade later in a patch release.

Also I think typesafe is not keen on supporting Scala 2.9 as much any
longer as 2.10 is out?
Any news of new Scala 2.9 releases on the way?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:05 AM, typerlc <rc...@cardaccess.com.au> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there are plans to support Scala 2.10 with the Scala DSL?
>> I haven't seen anything in the roadmap.
>>
>> The reflection API has changed in Scala 2.10 and the existing camel-scala
>> code throws an exception.
>>
>> I know Scala 2.10 hasn't been finally released, but it's just around the
>> corner (Dec 26 is listed on their website for final release).
>>

> Yeah as Willem said its not an easy upgrade in Scala land.
> Also we need to make sure it works in OSGi and that other frameworks
> that uses Scala such as in camel-web (using scalete) and whatnot is
> compatible and works.
>
> We will get to Scala 2.10 when its been out for a bit, and the other
> pieces are in place.
>

>> Richard
>>

>> --

> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> Email: cibsen@redhat.com
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> I would like to add to that as well, that camel is our single dependency
> stopping us moving to scala 2.10

I'm afraid you need to restrain a bit longer until Camel 2.11 release :) .

--
Henryk Konsek
http://henryk-konsek.blogspot.com

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by "Stephen Samuel (Sam)" <sa...@sksamuel.com>.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> The JAR name is camel-scala_2.9 and not camel-scala29. The directory
> for the source code is camel-scala29.

Actually I think that we could keep it in the current form, as this is
deprecated module and will be soon removed from the version control.
I'll just update the documentation.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is now a camel-scala_2.9 module that is using the same source
>> code as camel-scala build build against Scala 2.9.2 compiler.
>
> Sounds good. Scala users can sleep tight again :) . Thanks for taking
> care of this Claus.
>
>> Notice that this module is considered deprecated and expected to be
>> removed in Camel 3.0 / 2.12, eg next bigger release after Camel 2.11.
>
> I've just added appropriate information to the Scala DSL documentation page [1].
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/Scala+DSL

Thanks.

The JAR name is camel-scala_2.9 and not camel-scala29. The directory
for the source code is camel-scala29.
But maybe that is confusing some people, and we can rename the source
code path to camel-scala_2.9 - though I dont like the dot in the dir
name.

Its following that SBT convention with the JAR naming.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Sent from a mobile device

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> And they do not support Scala 2.9 for their latest stable release of
> Akka, eg 2.1.0
> http://typesafe.com/stack/downloads/akka
> So if they do not do that, we may also consider not supporting Scala 2.9.

Actually Scala/Akka community has been heavily criticised for breaking
binary compatibility. With all my respect and favour to the Scala/Akka
community I don't believe that we should take Akka as an example in
this particular issue :) .

New Scala version has been releases just a few weeks ago. I really
don't believe that we should force our Scala users to migrate to the
bleeding-edge version of the language just because they want to use
one of our new 2.11 features [1].

Remember that we will reduce active development on camel-scala_2.9 to
minimum of effort. All new features to the Scala DSL will be included
only in the new 2.10 branch.

[1] http://camel.apache.org/camel-2110-release.html

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 for the micro-branch for the camel-scala, and we can do the release it after major release of camel.
>>

> I am wondering if we can add a camel-scala-2.9 module to the source code.
> And this is a shallow module, that has some maven plugins, that copies
> the src from the "real" camel-scala module
> But just compiles against scala 2.9
>
> Then I guess we can have both modules done in the same release. The
> caveat is that the source must be compileable
> for both 2.9 and 2.10 at the same time. But I dont think there is any
> such problems.
>
> Also we cannot support older Scala releases forever. Camel 2.11 is
> having a support lifecycle for about 18 months or so.
> That is a long time to still support Scala 2.9 etc.

I am just looking at the "king of all Scala projects" = Akka

And they do not support Scala 2.9 for their latest stable release of
Akka, eg 2.1.0
http://typesafe.com/stack/downloads/akka

So if they do not do that, we may also consider not supporting Scala 2.9.

>> --
>> Willem Jiang
>>
>> Red Hat, Inc.
>> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
>> Web: http://www.fusesource.com | http://www.redhat.com
>> Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (http://willemjiang.blogspot.com/) (English)
>>           http://jnn.iteye.com (http://jnn.javaeye.com/) (Chinese)
>> Twitter: willemjiang
>> Weibo: 姜宁willem

>>> Camel is quite specific in this regards as it is not pure-Scala project.
>>>
>>> In my humble opinion the Camel way of handling Scala compatibility
>>> issue is to fork only camel-scala module. This approach works like a
>>> micro-branch.
>>>
>>> I would keep existing camel-scala module as a 2.9 branch, and created
>>> forked camel-scala_2.10 module. By doing this, we will not force Scala
>>> 2.9 users to change their dependencies.
>>>
>>> I also suggest to keep org.apache.camel.scala package name in both
>>> modules. This will make easier for users to upgrade their routes to
>>> the higher version of Scala.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas and approaches for the problem will be highly appreciated :) .
>>>
>>> --
>>> Henryk Konsek
>>> http://henryk-konsek.blogspot.com
>>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> Email: cibsen@redhat.com
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
We have done something similar with camel-http and camel-http4.
At some time, we should consider dropping the support for the older one.

Best,
Christian

Sent from a mobile device

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Totally agree. The Scala way to do is to build and publish camel-scala_2.9.2-
>> 2.11.0.jar and camel-scala_2.10-2.11.0.jar
>
> I reopened the Scala 2.10 issue [1] so we might settle an agreement on
> how Scala backwards compatibility should be handled in Camel.
>
> +1 for renaming existing Scala module to camel-scala_2.9.2 and
> creating new camel-scala_2.10 module (by cloning).
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-6011

Yes we can take a look what is feasible to have both a 2.9 and 2.10
scala binary compatible of camel-scala
for the upcoming 2.11 release of Camel.

For the scalate project it looks as if they branched the source code
and cut a release of the branch especially for 2.9 scala
https://github.com/scalate/scalate/commit/c3fe71ed5418c9da35a62dbba4b77647f975b711

This is not possible with how we cut releases at ASF Camel as its one
giant release cycle.
So I dont think we have an easy way of doing this.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Alexander Nemish <an...@gmail.com>.
Henryk Konsek <he...@...> writes:

> > I have logged ticket
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-6011
> >
> > And upgrading Scala now.
>
> Actually this is not a Scala-way to just upgrade the version of the library.
>
> In fact we should create separated module for 2.10 (cloned from the
> 2.9). New development should take place in 2.10 module while existing
> 2.9 module should be kept for the compatibility reasons.
>
> Now we force people who want to switch from Camel 2.10 to Camel 2.11
> to migrate all their business code to Scala 2.10 as well. And this can
> be painful for them.
>
> I can handle this issue if you want, but I strongly recommend to keep
> Scala 2.9 support.

Totally agree. The Scala way to do is to build and publish camel-scala_2.9.2-
2.11.0.jar and camel-scala_2.10-2.11.0.jar so sbt could manage scala version
automatically. You may want to check http://www.scala-
sbt.org/release/docs/Getting-Started/Library-Dependencies.html#getting-the-
right-scala-version-with

Cheers,
Alexander Nemish

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scala DSL with Scala 2.10

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Alexander Nemish <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Claus Ibsen <cl...@...> writes:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> The scalate team has been so kind to cut releases that support Scala
>> 2.9 and 2.10.
>> So the last hurdle for Camel is to have an OSGi bundle of Scala 2.10
>> which is in the works.
>>
>> When all that is released. We could reconsider upgrading camel-scala
>> to 2.10 as we have all the needed pieces now.
>> Also considering that if we do it before a Camel 2.11 release then
>> thats easier. As we can't upgrade later in a patch release.
>>
>> Also I think typesafe is not keen on supporting Scala 2.9 as much any
>> longer as 2.10 is out?
>> Any news of new Scala 2.9 releases on the way?
>>

> Hi Claus,
>
> Scala 2.10 scala-library.jar is OSGi ready. Also, scalate team already made a
> release for Scala 2.10. Typesafe claims to support Scala 2.9 for quite awhile,
> there is 2.9.3 release planned later this year.
>
> If it's not too late, could you please consider including 2.10 build for Camel
> 2.11 release? Camel is the last dependency holding our project from migrating to
> Scala 2.10.

I have logged ticket

And upgrading Scala now.

--