Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "::SammyRulez::" <sa...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/17 16:33:26 UTC

DataConverter Initializazion

Before opening a Issue I would like to ask if someone could explain this.

DateTimeConverter has a fieled called TIMEZONE_DEFAULT which is used
in date conversion if no timezone is provided.

It would be natural for me to initialize it with
TimeZone.getDefault(); instead it is initialized with GMT. As a result
many Date Objects instantiated from ORM / DB Data which has 00:00 as
time are CONVERTED from the original timezone to GMT timezone. So a
day before (in my CEST case ;-) )

if  TIMEZONE_DEFAULT will be equal to TimeZone.getDefault() all java
stuff in my application will use the same date/time conversion.

Thanks

--
::SammyRulez::
http://www.kyub.com/blog/

Re: DataConverter Initializazion

Posted by "::SammyRulez::" <sa...@gmail.com>.
do you mean this http://jcp.org/en/resources/tdk.

BTW also standard convertDateTime works well if you specify timezone
but is is very boring to introduce it every time you have to display a
date... also because you have locales manged by faces-config.

2006/10/17, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>:
> That's an old bug - and indeed, it has been introduced to comply with
> the TCK. As an alternative, use s:convertDateTime which does exactly
> what you're proposing.
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 10/17/06, ::SammyRulez:: <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Before opening a Issue I would like to ask if someone could explain this.
> >
> > DateTimeConverter has a fieled called TIMEZONE_DEFAULT which is used
> > in date conversion if no timezone is provided.
> >
> > It would be natural for me to initialize it with
> > TimeZone.getDefault(); instead it is initialized with GMT. As a result
> > many Date Objects instantiated from ORM / DB Data which has 00:00 as
> > time are CONVERTED from the original timezone to GMT timezone. So a
> > day before (in my CEST case ;-) )
> >
> > if  TIMEZONE_DEFAULT will be equal to TimeZone.getDefault() all java
> > stuff in my application will use the same date/time conversion.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > ::SammyRulez::
> > http://www.kyub.com/blog/

> http://www.irian.at
>
> Your JSF powerhouse -
> JSF Consulting, Development and
> Courses in English and German

::SammyRulez::
http://www.kyub.com/blog/
La programmazione รจ per un terzo interpretazione e per due terzi ispirazione.
 E per un terzo mistificazione

Re: DataConverter Initializazion

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
That's an old bug - and indeed, it has been introduced to comply with
the TCK. As an alternative, use s:convertDateTime which does exactly
what you're proposing.

regards,

Martin

On 10/17/06, ::SammyRulez:: <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before opening a Issue I would like to ask if someone could explain this.
>
> DateTimeConverter has a fieled called TIMEZONE_DEFAULT which is used
> in date conversion if no timezone is provided.
>
> It would be natural for me to initialize it with
> TimeZone.getDefault(); instead it is initialized with GMT. As a result
> many Date Objects instantiated from ORM / DB Data which has 00:00 as
> time are CONVERTED from the original timezone to GMT timezone. So a
> day before (in my CEST case ;-) )
>
> if  TIMEZONE_DEFAULT will be equal to TimeZone.getDefault() all java
> stuff in my application will use the same date/time conversion.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> ::SammyRulez::
> http://www.kyub.com/blog/