Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Gionni <gi...@tiscali.it> on 2009/05/21 10:09:42 UTC

Felix and Ajax

Hi,
I must develop some bundles with web interface so I decided to exploit the
http service provided by pax-web
http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web
http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web . It works quite well and
supports the MVC pattern integrating servlet and jsp.

Anyway I would like to exploit an Ajax framework to build an engaging user
interface withouth too much work.
I am aware of some guys that are exploiting Google Web Toolkit and its
widget library gwt-ext. Unfortunately I do not like too much the Google
approach to Ajax.

I also tried to integrate Pax-Web and ZK Framework  www.zkoss.org
http://www.zkoss.org  but I was not able to do it (zk do no work correctly
if embeeded inside a bundle).

Are you aware of other Ajax frameworks that is possible to exploit using the
Http Service?

Thanks in advance,
-Giovanni

Re: Felix and Ajax

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
The simple answer is that any OSGi HttpService is capable of supporting
any AJAX or REST approach you could conceive - both are based around
standard HTTP concepts like GET / PUT / POST etc, and since OSGi lets
you create mount your own servlets to handle these, you can create the
server side handling for pretty much any such framework using Osgi Http.

The only tricky part is ensure your solution also "serves up" the
infrastructure bits of your framework e.g. the Javascript libs, CSS,
images etc. This requires an understanding of what URLs your framework
uses to request these - and usually a debugging or tracing session of an
example app will give you an understanding of what's needed. After that,
it's just a question of mounting the Http root aliases and resource
handlers to serve these up form bundle-ized versions of the Ajax library
jars.

Personally - we love GWT so I can't speak for other alternatives and use
it pretty much exclusively these days. I do recall something called DWR
(http://directwebremoting.org/dwr/) that we looked at prior to
standardizing on GWT though.

-- Rob

--

Ascert - Taking systems to the Edge
robw@ascert.com

Re: Felix and Ajax

Posted by Filippo Diotalevi <fi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Gionni <gi...@tiscali.it> wrote:

> Hi,
> I must develop some bundles with web interface so I decided to exploit the
> http service provided by pax-web
> http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web
> http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web . It works quite well and
> supports the MVC pattern integrating servlet and jsp.
>
> Anyway I would like to exploit an Ajax framework to build an engaging user
> interface withouth too much work.
> [..]
> Are you aware of other Ajax frameworks that is possible to exploit using the
> Http Service?

Hi,
  any Javascript library should work.
To see a working example with JQuery, you can checkout the Felix Webconsole at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/webconsole

--
Filippo Diotalevi

RE : Felix and Ajax